Author Topic: Hudson Valley Fowler question  (Read 1058 times)

Offline paulitus

Hudson Valley Fowler question
« on: October 12, 2021, 02:15:45 AM »
Many of these Dutch style triggerguards have longitudinal grooves filed into the bow. What is the shape of these grooves, are they round bottomed, or v-shaped?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Hudson Valley Fowler question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 04:22:26 PM »
Many of these Dutch style triggerguards have longitudinal grooves filed into the bow. What is the shape of these grooves, are they round bottomed, or v-shaped?
Round bottom. I use a chain saw file.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline paulitus

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

Offline godutch

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »
  Round groove's as Mike said.  Also, if you're tackling a HVF you can't go wrong getting yourself a copy of Tom Grinslade's book Flintlock Fowlers, the first guns made in America.  You will find 33 different HVF's with multiple pics of each showing key dimensions and details thru the evolution of the HVF. Being from their region I had the opportunity to hold, handle, and measure originals. Most will not have that option. Still, I wish I'd had Grinslade's book as an adjunct back then in the early 90's when I was doing my legwork. HVF's are an expensive build, 'planning is key and info. is the key to that. Best of luck, keep us posted on your build!    p.s.  Bore's range from .70 to .80 cal. on originals, so..., 12 ga.  not 20's and 16's.    Cheers, Fred