Author Topic: New Scholarship for the Gunmakers' Workshop  (Read 992 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

New Scholarship for the Gunmakers' Workshop
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:51:15 PM »
Hey all - I want to pass along some info on a new scholarship available to active or former US Military personnel, Policemen or Firemen. For the winning entrant, the scholarship will fully cover the cost of instruction plus onsite meals and lodging for the Feb 20-26 2022 session of the Gunmakers' Workshop. Here are the details -   

Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops would like to extend a fully paid scholarship to a former or current US Military Personnel, Law Enforcement Officers, or Firefighters in appreciation of their service to their communities and country.This scholarship will be for the February 2022 session of the Gunmakers'  Workshop  where we focus on the stocking of a 1770’s era flintlock rifle in the traditional 18th century manner 

To make this possible, Ian Pratt and Ken Gahagan will waive their instructor fees. Larry Zornes of the Mold and Gun Shop has graciously offered to supply all needed gun making parts such as the lock, barrel and all hardware , and Jason Gatliff has offered to advertise the scholarship in Muzzleloader Magazine.

This class is a rather intense week of stocking a rifle using primarily hand tools such as chisels, files and rasps  to fashion a serviceable firearm by working along with your instructors and fellow students.You will be required to bring a small selection of hand tools; a list will be provided to the winning entrant. How much you can get done in the allotted time will depend on your knowledge of working with these hand tools and general skill set. While there is a lot going on and possibly many new skills and techniques to learn, you'll be working in a low pressure friendly environment. The hope would be that you would learn some new skills, meet some new friends with similar interests and possibly apply them to future builds.

The class is held each year at Canter’s Cave near Jackson in Southeastern Ohio. This is a very nice set up with all meals and lodging provided on site -  the cost of which is included in the scholarship - so you can really make good use of your time there. This year it will be held the week of February 20th -26th, 2022

To apply for the scholarship, you must provide a short essay that outlines your skill set with hand tools, wood and metal working skills and if you have built any flintlock rifles - kit or  scratch built. Tell us why you want to take on this challenge and what it might mean for you.  Please  respond with your essay to Ian Pratt at  ipratt360 at gmail.com and kgahagan4 at gmail.com by no later than December 15th 2021. You will be advised by January 1st 2022 if you are chosen.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:56:02 PM by Ian Pratt »

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
Re: New Scholarship for the Gunmakers' Workshop
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 10:25:55 PM »
Fantastic news
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 08:55:14 AM »
Fantastic news

I second that!!!!!  Thanks for what you do, Ian!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 09:11:53 PM »
Anchors aweigh!  Go Navy!  The only branch of service with reference to drinking in their song.
David

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 08:24:57 AM »
Indeed, David!  Knew there was a reason I joined the Navy.  Did get to complete my first time around the world.

Wishing I were about ten years younger, I'd be on that quicker than a fly on a.....  well, never mind that.  This antique body couldn't handle the class.  I'll ask around at the VA hospital next week.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.