Author Topic: Sealing inlets  (Read 1697 times)

Offline snowman485

• Starting Member
Sealing inlets
« on: October 14, 2021, 01:06:33 AM »
I know you dont stain the inlets or barrel channel but how do you seal the wood,just apply your oil finish?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Sealing inlets
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 01:11:18 AM »
Too much finish, which is easy to do, and the part won’t fit any longer. Many builders just leave it be. I don’t think there’s much evidence of sealed inlets in the originals and they seemed to have lasted. No A/C and all.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 01:27:20 AM »
Use one coat of permalyn sealer and you will be ok. It's thin enough it won't bind up any parts.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 02:35:57 AM »
With the two rifles I built I used gun oil on the barrel and other parts so they don't rust. With the one rifle I use a lot it I take it apart once a year just to check sometimes spot rust in some places. The inlets are not sealed except I suppose where I used some bedding compound at the breech could be considered sealed. Of the originals I have had I don't think any of the inlets were sealed.
Rob

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 05:22:57 AM »
It a very good idea to use thinned finish in the inlets.  When it stop soaking it up, stop.  You do not want to goop up the inlets.  I would not leave them dry.  Gun oil ruins wood over time.  There is no need to invite oil soaked wood.

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 01:03:13 PM »
Birchwood Casey's sealer and filler. Paint it with a small fine brush, keep it off the sides, as whatever finish you use will take care of those areas.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »

One coat of Permalyn Sealer which readily soaks in and when dry doesn't change the inlet fit . .....Fred

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 05:15:04 PM »
I haven't seen any evidence of finish inside of inlets on any antique gun I have had apart.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 06:27:29 PM »
I seal everything. I don't want my stock swelling if I'm in the rain. Also if only one side of the wood is sealed it will warp easier. A good thin hard sealer will work. I use Spar varnish inside.

Offline Not English

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 07:02:36 AM »
I seal all openings with a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and whatever finish is used for initial application and leave it at that. As previously noted, too much finish will create problems with fit. Things that I actually think of as inlets are epoxied in the stock and then pinned. The epoxy will eventually let go particularly with brass, but the pins hold them on and the stock is still basically sealed.

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 04:55:00 AM »
Watco Teak oil.  It's thin and one coat does the job.  Won't swell anything, JUST MY .02