Author Topic: Patch Lube?  (Read 10760 times)

Offline Hunterdude

Re: Patch Lube?
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2021, 08:20:57 AM »
Daryl, thank you for the detailed info! I think I will get 1 tin each of bear and of mink and see if I can measure a difference in accuracy and/or how they load in Michigan winter.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2021, 09:36:50 PM »
I've used Track's mink oil down to -40 & it seemed to work just fine. It gets stiff, but about instantly melts in the fingers.
The gear grease I used was too hard at that temp. Bear Oil might not be, I don't know.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2021, 08:56:55 PM »
I don't know if Track's Mink grease is the best patch lube out there... But for the performance I've experienced, coupled with cost and quantity, I haven't found anything better.

And, most importantly, my gun likes it.

Mike

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2021, 09:30:00 PM »
I agree Mike. I often mix in some Bear oil with my TOTW lube just because I have a good supply and it seems to shoot the same straight or mixed for me.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2021, 03:17:05 AM »
I ordered some bear grease....just for the "cool" factor And also some have mentioned an "off" odor from mink, but I am not sure if TOTW mink lube is the smelly variety. I will get some of that to, as it is less than half the cost of the bear grease I found, them I will shoot both to see what my gun and I prefure.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
ToTW mink’s oil does tend to have a bit of a slightly rancid thing going on, but it bugs me little as I’m using it in my rifle not smearing it on toast.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2021, 10:37:30 PM »
I buy my T.O.T.W. mink oil 10 tins at a time. I put 9 in the freezer and only keep 1 out at a time in an old saucepan to melt as I need. I don't notice any rancid smell but again I use it as a lube and as just as someone else said I ain't putting it on my toast.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2021, 12:24:00 AM »
Track's Mink grease does have an odor... It isn't a pleasant odor. But neither is it disagreeable or offensive. It just smells "tallowy" or "greasy" to me.

It's probably the best smelling portion of a mink though.  ;D

Mike

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2021, 06:27:14 AM »
My bear grease order came today, I was pleased it has very little smell to it, but what little I could detect was very pleasant, smelled edible but like others, I want to shoot it rather than spread on toast :D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2021, 08:11:14 AM »
That looks to me as if mixed with something, like a very dark beeswax.
My bear "grease" was white and very soft and my bear's oil is clear, like water.
Daryl

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2021, 08:57:29 AM »
Yup, here is a quote from there website:

Bumblin Bear Grease is an all natural patch lube designed especially for the rigors of cold weather hunting. No more "punched through" frozen patches. The exclusive blend of bear grease and beeswax, plus other natural ingredients, makes this an ideal lube for traditional shooters and re-enactors, too. Comes in a 4 oz.

I guess I don't mind the beeswax, I can't smell it....wish they would say what the other natural ingredients are.
   The thickness (right out of my cool 20 degree mailbox) is a little softer than a freshly opened can of Kiwi shoe polish if that helps any? I will check it again when it gets up to house room temperature. I can't wait to give it a try.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 09:01:49 AM by Hunterdude »

Offline AZshot

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »
In dry Arizona, I've been using Neatsfoot Oil this go round.  Decades ago I used a more liquid lube Dixie sold.  But I didn't want to rely on something I have to buy and have shipped, want something I can get or make locally.  Just tired of all the "back orders" since 2019. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2021, 06:13:45 AM »
That looks to me as if mixed with something, like a very dark beeswax.
My bear "grease" was white and very soft and my bear's oil is clear, like water.

Yeah, that's not pure bear grease. Ask the makers what's in it. It has the color of the beeswax I have on hand, and the name hints at it, so I concur with Daryl.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2021, 09:41:30 PM »
Yeah, that's not pure bear grease. Ask the makers what's in it. It has the color of the beeswax I have on hand, and the name hints at it, so I concur with Daryl.

Hunterdude's post after mine:

"The exclusive blend of bear grease and beeswax, plus other natural ingredients, makes this an ideal lube for traditional shooters and re-enactors, too. Comes in a 4 oz."
Daryl

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2021, 10:08:26 PM »
 If its got enough bees wax to color it, it will leave a crust in the bore in hotter climates. Been there done that.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2021, 12:14:43 AM »
Hanshi: You are a wise man. I either use T.O.T.W. mink or T.O.T.W mink and pure neat's-foot oil melted together in a 50/50 mix. either or both work equally well. Shoot this lube year round target, trail walk or hunting.

Muskrat, I have yet to try neat's-foot oil.  Simply haven't gotten around to kicking some up.  Sounds like a good way to stretch out the mink oil.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2021, 01:34:06 AM »
If its got enough bees wax to color it, it will leave a crust in the bore in hotter climates. Been there done that.

Hungry Horse

This is exactly why I don't use beeswax in any lube concoction of mine--that and I pay for my beeswax. I have no $ in deer tallow or bear grease yet, just time and some pals with pals who kill bears.

Yeah, that's not pure bear grease...

Hunterdude's post after mine:..

Hey, sometimes I miss stuff. Or actually things get posted when I'm not lookin'.  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2021, 04:20:24 AM »
Hanshi: go to any good farm supply or equestrian shop. Just make sure it is 100% pure not the blend stuff that just won't work. Fiebing's brand is the best, a couple of bucks a bottle more but worth it.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2021, 12:00:25 PM »
My bear grease order came today, I was pleased it has very little smell to it, but what little I could detect was very pleasant, smelled edible but like others, I want to shoot it rather than spread on toast :D

Bumblin “bear grease” is not actually pure bear’s grease but is cut with other things.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2021, 04:27:48 AM »
I knew before I ordered Bumblin bear grease that it was "contaminated" with other natural ingredients, they advertise it as a cold weather formula. My primary use of it(if it performs well) will be Michigan winter squirrel hunting with temps from 11 deg F to 36 degrees F and likely average hunting day of more like 27 degrees F.
  It was just the fastest easy way for me to get some bear grease content, I sometimes run into bear hunters up north when I am out Grouse hunting and they often stop and ask me if I have seen any fresh bear tracks, next time they do I hope to ask for some pure bear grease, but this gives me something to try out sooner. The bear hunters seem friendly to me and my dog, I think the average bear hunter just loves hunting dogs. :D

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2022, 07:33:28 AM »
Well dang y’all got me wondering what tastes like on toast.   Has anyone tried lanolin, as a patch lube, not on toast.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2022, 03:15:22 AM »
Well dang y’all got me wondering what tastes like on toast.   Has anyone tried lanolin, as a patch lube, not on toast.
Good bear grease is excellent for cooking, But I don't grease toast anymore.

I have some pure lanolin oil that I'm going to try--mostly because I'm not using it otherwise. I use pure-firm lanolin (the standard) for my skin and cuticles this time of year. I work outside. I'll post what I think about the lanolin oil when I shoot it. I've got some patching to try as well.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2022, 03:24:24 AM »

Scott, a cousin of mine used to use apothecary's Lanolin as a metalic-sizing lubricant. I do not know how it would work as
as patch lube.
Daryl

Offline doulos

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2022, 03:26:13 AM »
For hunting lube I use Tracks Mink oil. I use it whenever I leave the gun loaded.  For target range work. Just a bit of Ballistol mixed with ordinary tap water. Ive never found the mixture to be critical. 1 part Ballistol to 4 parts water all the way up to 1 to 8.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2022, 05:41:29 AM »

Purely conjecture on my part but I have a feeling that a lot of BP lubes have some amount of lanolin in them.

Mike