Author Topic: Lehigh comb  (Read 2985 times)

Offline ed lundquist

Lehigh comb
« on: October 15, 2021, 03:43:11 AM »

I think I need to take some of the arch out of the comb and soften the nose a bit. Thoughts? Thanks.

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Lehigh comb
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 04:53:41 AM »
Well I’m certainly no expert, so for what it’s worth… I think your stock as it is, is not technically incorrect.  But as a personal preference, I would agree with your assessment .  To my eye it would look a little better if you were to reduce the arch and soften the nose of the comb as you suggest.

Looking good (either way),   ;)
Jeff

There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 04:58:03 AM »
Ed, I am far from being an expert on the Lehigh rifles but it looks like to me you have the step in the wrist a little to far forward. If you brought the step a little more toward the butt plate it would balance out the comb better. The comb may be a tad high, maybe flatten it out just a small amount. Jeff Talbert has a great thread going on a Lehigh he is building, be sure to check it out.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 05:22:27 AM »
 Thanks bama , I see what you say, better to have wood than not. I have laid out the trigger and guard, hope I can tweak things enough. Worked all around this gun and got out of sequence cause I was waiting on a lock and I couldn't keep myself from doing something. Thanks Jeff I'm taking off some tomorrow. Your rifle is looking real good thanks for sharing your progress.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:34:46 AM by ed lundquist »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 05:32:05 AM »
Ed,
Another factor to consider with the stepped wrist is where the rear extension of the TG meets the stock.  I like the step to sit just forward of the rear TG extension.

Again that’s just my preference.
Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 05:44:36 AM »
I am out of sequence as I said but I hope there is enough to play with so things will line up. So much to consider. What wonderful guns.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 03:47:12 PM »
to me, who has no expertise??  to my eye , the comb area just above the cheek piece.. towards the rear half has a lil extra hump.
 it appears to rise to a just in that area and then smooth back down towards the nose??

just my thoughts..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 04:37:16 PM »
Yep, it'll come off. Thanks

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 08:29:31 PM »
When I first looked at the pictures, my first thought was yes, the comb is a little humped up.  But I laid a straight edge along the barrel and see that there is currently lots of drop at the comb/wrist transition, so it should not be a cheek slapper, depending on the calibre obviously.  The Lehigh rifles I've built have less of a Roman Nose comb than yours, but I don't think what you have is wrong.  It's a matter of taste.  And the comb nose is not an independent feature...other areas must be considered in unison, ie:  the drop of the tang immediately behind the breech, in other words, the straightness of the wrist, the angle along the top of the butt plate return relative to the top of the comb, your stepped wrist appears a little exaggerated to my eye and appears too short 'fore and aft', the position of the cheek piece in the buttstock...just a few items that are inter-related.  I'd like to see the same pictures with the trigger guard in position, not necessarily inlet.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 02:46:44 AM »
Thanks Taylor, I worked on it a bit today and will continue slowly. I'll get some pics of the guard soon. Thanks again, it helps.

I can barely see the difference,can you?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 03:02:04 AM »
Nice piece of wood, Ed. Gonna be loverly.
Nifty, even.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 03:20:45 AM »
I like it better.
The nose of the comb looks like it could be smoothed out just a tad.  Has the tiniest bump at the moment.

Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 03:24:45 AM »
Jeff that should smooth out with the final shaping, seems like I just keep filing and filing. :P  Daryl, this stock is said to come from the stash of Wm. Buchele, I owe him a good effort.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:28:31 AM by ed lundquist »

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 02:01:33 AM »
Taylor, the trigger is just for reference and the guard will come forward a bit. Looking at the pics I would say I need to reduce the step in the wrist some by taking off from the lower buttstock. Am I on the right track?  Would a picture with more of the butt help? Thanks

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 07:47:19 PM »
If you take wood away from the bottom to reduce the step, I'd take no more than 1/16" before I had a serious look at it.  Your rifle is going to be very nice.  I like the butt profile.
Something that will make the step really pop is adding molding lines from the toe to the grip rail.  On my Kuntz rifle, there is no step carved into the lower buttstock line, but the molding termination at the guard gives the illusion of one.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 01:23:12 AM »
Taylor, thanks for the response. I am going to go easy now as I think I'm getting close to where I want things. The trigger went in yesterday and I'm pleased, nice and light. I am planning on buttstock and forestock moldings, as you say they do slim appearances. Thanks for the insights, I was attempting to checker today and it did not go as planed but I think I can save it, on a pistol not the rifle.

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 03:31:08 AM »
On the last two pistols I chequered I made the mistake of trying a wrap around pattern.  It is very difficult to get that to work.  What works better is to create a border line along the length of the grip so there is a spine of unchequered wood.  Then it is only a matter of doing two panels that are interrupted, and the result is a much easier job that looks right.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 03:46:40 AM »
NOW you tell me! :P Self made tools, lack of experience, overconfident [ I did practice]. Maybe it's not as bad as all that but it could certainly be better. Should be able to salvage it, great respect for those who do this well. Probably should buy some proper tools. I'll post some pics when I give up. ;D

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 01:27:16 AM »
Wasn't a disaster and again I find new ways to cover my mistakes. Stain helps, the stark white lines on the finished stock were concerning. There are lots of things to learn inthis rabbit hole. Thanks

add photos to a facebook post

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 04:12:43 AM »
Betcha that pistol feels good in the hand.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 04:17:20 AM »
Feels better now, better grip.

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 09:05:05 PM »
That looks excellent Ed...nice work.  Don't be worried about coarse chequering...many muzzleloading guns have it for a good reason...better grip. 
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 12:53:42 AM »
Taylor, thanks for the help, in the end I have learned plenty. As my favorite philosopher Mediocraties says 'good enough'. For now anyways.

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2021, 03:48:09 AM »
Here are a couple progress pics of my Lehigh. A bit more carving to be done yet. Inlet the star today. Thanks for looking.

[/u

[url=https://ibb.co/F6KRyXr]

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2021, 05:16:12 AM »
Looking great! Beautiful work on the scrolls and design.

-Allen