Author Topic: MLBS  (Read 1216 times)

Offline bob in the woods

MLBS
« on: October 16, 2021, 02:55:17 AM »
Since this involves components/parts I thought I would post it here. I've done business with MLBS for close to 30 years....well before Susan took over.  I see they are no longer shipping outside the U.S.    I sent them an e-mail, but wondered if anyone here could shed some light on this ?
Is this part of a bigger picture we Canadians are going to be faced with ?  I'm asking because I have experience with luthier suppliers no longer shipping many woods, pearl, and other things outside the US.   I'm glad I stocked up 25 years ago
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:59:00 AM by bob in the woods »

Offline FALout

Re: MLBS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 03:02:11 AM »
You could always call them, Robert and Terri have always answered any questions I’ve had, good people to deal with.  I’m guessing shipping issues, but that’s just a guess.
Bob

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 03:34:33 AM »
Bob, a trusted go between would add to the cost of shipping but at least you could still get the parts.

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 03:39:46 AM »
Their business is for sale. May have something to do with that.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 06:28:26 AM »
It's Ryan and Terri Jo and they are fantastic people to deal with and great shooters. Call either one and ask them. Being a business owner myself it is difficult shipping out of country with duty and postal service exchanges from country to country as well as exchange charges with the banking system today. Oh and don't forget taxes.... Bob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 03:43:57 PM »
For a number of years I sent locks and triggers to a shop in Germany and had no problems except one man at the Post office didn't like it when I filled out the customs papers in German.I told him the man in Mayen had no problems with it.Just what is wrong wit saying Vorderlader Steinschloss instead of Muzzleloader flintlock?
Bob Roller

Birddog6

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 04:55:11 PM »
Unfortunately, you may be caught in the Cost vs Worth issue.  Not saying this is happening for you, but I know it happens in my line of business.

Example:  Say a person out of the USA calls for 2 sideplates.  Of that sale the vender actually makes $2.50 each =  $5. profit.  Cost to the vender is 2 hrs labor which includes a trip to the PO & filling out export forms.  Now, some people can walk right in a PO & do their thing & leave.  For others they may stand in line for a hour & drive 30 min one way to get there.  For $5.    So if this vender does 4 exports that day, he made $20-30.  it cost him more for that one persons salary & overhead than profit. Plus what work that person should have been doing, has not been done. So basically it cost him double that persons salary & overhead to do that day in exporting. Yes, I know you can set it up to do everything on line & etc.  Some don't like doing that, they want to do it In Hand, By Hand, etc. It IS their business.  Now, some say that is just part of doing business.  I say it is part of doing business IF that business owner want to incur the cost of the Export.

I think the best way for you to get your part is to have a friend or relative in the USA ship the part to you.   

I have owned a small business for 30 years.  We don't sell or ship export. Period.  Cost & time involved way exceeds the profit.  It is a Business, not friends & family. We have to Make Money to survive. 
Years ago shipping anything export was no big deal.  ANYTHING you ship today is a Big Deal. They make it a Big Deal. They get paid for making it a Big Deal. Heck,  Some even call it progress.
 ???

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 05:03:23 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 07:59:50 PM »
I suspect it is a matter of dollars and cents as mentioned.  It really is the end of an era. especially when I spent much of my life walking /driving back and forth between Canada and the US as though the border didn't really exist.  Where I lived on the prairies, it really didn't because there were no guards on either side  :)   We used to order all kinds of farm stuff, tires, etc  just about everything , from the US and it was all shipped by mail  :)   

Birddog6

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 09:27:16 PM »
That is exactly what it is.  It is not that they don't want to sell & ship it out, it is the amount of labor involved vs. profit of the sale.  Sounds crazy but sometimes  Vender can't afford to sell someone some things.