General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

Nice old screw tip horn..!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Cades Cove Fiddler:
 8) :o ;)... great find, Bob,... !!! ... maybe came down there with Old Hickory and crew,.. !!! .... thanx for shareing,... !!! ... CCF

Rajin cajun:

--- Quote from: Cades Cove Fiddler on October 19, 2021, 03:38:23 PM --- 8) :o ;)... great find, Bob,... !!! ... maybe came down there with Old Hickory and crew,.. !!! .... thanx for shareing,... !!! ... CCF

--- End quote ---
Dana, it’s not for me it belongs to our good friend Tommy. He has quiet a collection of really great horns..! He has a good eye for horns, and his collection bears proof of that statement.
Hope to see you at Jim’s show in Jan. “Good Lord Willing.”
Stay safe brother.
🙏🇺🇸🙏
Bob

Tecumseh:
Beautiful horn in fantastic condition, that is a great find.

Dutch Blacky:

--- Quote from: Frank Barker on October 19, 2021, 03:23:40 PM ---j. pease... I asked this same question on another post but no one has answered it yet. What is lead oxide and how is it applied ? That is a beautiful horn and for some reason I like the simplicity of the decoration.

Kind Regards
Frank

--- End quote ---

Thanks for this question.
I found a lot of different lead oxide chemicals, which have various colors. Most of them are poisoning:
"Lead oxides are a group of inorganic compounds with formulas including lead (Pb) and oxygen (O).

Common lead oxides include:

Lead(II) oxide, PbO, litharge (red), massicot (yellow) Lead(II,IV) oxide, Pb3O4,  minium, red lead Lead dioxide (lead(IV) oxide), PbO2

Less common lead oxides are:

Lead(II,IV) oxide, Pb2O3, lead sesquioxide (reddish yellow)Pb12O19 (monoclinic, dark-brown or black crystals)The so-called black lead oxide, which is a mixture of PbO and fine-powdered metal Pb and used in the production of lead–acid batteries." (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_oxide)

Which of these chemicals have been used for painting or decoration of horns?

Keith Zimmerman:
Wow!  Thats an amazing find.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version