Author Topic: Giant version of a barrel lug drill fixture..and cannon questions  (Read 1488 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Well, as part of my refurbishment of the cannon I built 50 years ago, I am replacing some of my high school era home made parts with more correct versions.  I started off replacing the (home made*, hand bent*, sneezed together with an old stick welder) trail handles with some castings I acquired from Ken Creswell in Knoxville, TN.  I had to drill new holes through the end of the trail for the 5/8" bolts that hold the handles on.  But the trail is tapered on all four sides, so trying to get a hole to come out on the opposite side (without taking the whole gun apart and setting it up in a drill press) was a bit of a $#@* shoot.  So taking a cue from Dave Rase and Mr. Boggs on their tools for putting lug holes through a rifle stock, I built a giant version with brass sleeves for various size drills.  Here is the drill guide.......

And the guide set up for drilling the cannon trail.......

Trail handles installed.......

Later I tell the story of the new pointing rings on the end of the trail.....another story of replacing parts either left off originally or parts that were compromises way back when.

* When I started making all of the "irons" required to build a full size cannon, it became immediately apparent that I was going to have to make some compromises on the authenticity of what I was building.  All of the original irons were either cast or forged and were well beyond my capability to manufacture as a high school kid in the garage in 1970.  With no equipment except access to a cutting torch, a Wildcat grinder, hand drills, hack saws, a really old Lincoln stick welder, and a sledge hammer, I started making all the iron parts for the carriage as close to being historically accurate as I could.  I didn't even have access to an anvil, but there was a manhole cover in the street in front of my childhood home.  If an iron part needed to be pounded into shape, I would heat it in a mud forge I built in an old wheel barrel (to make it portable).  With the forge set up it up in the front yard, and watching for traffic, I would take the hot iron out to the street and, using the manhole cover as an anvil, would pound the daylights out of it until it needed to go back into the fire for a reheat.....or until a car came along and forced me to stop for traffic.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:29:09 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Marcruger

Re: Another Cannon Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 01:25:26 PM »
Typical of your work Dave.  Pretty amazing tool. 

Now you are set to drill some really fat longrifles too.   :-D 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Giant version of a barrel lug drill fixture..and cannon questions
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 08:16:35 PM »
After drilling these holes for the trail handles and the lunette, I need to put a long through bolt in the middle of the trail for the anchor point of the "lock chain" mounted on all cannon and caissons.  Does anyone know how a "lock chain" was used ???  I can find references to a lot of these cannon parts but very little information on how they were used.....like this "lock chain" and an "ear plate" ????  Anyone know or have a good reference source ??

Thanks
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 04:32:54 PM »
Dave, I read the lock chain was used to stop a wheel from turning, like a parking brake so-to-speak.  Never seen one used in real life though.  I have seen them used on railroad baggage wagons though, and they just wrap from the deck through the wheel and a padlock is applied.  Keeps the wagon from rolling and/or being stolen easily. 

No clue on the ear plate.  Sorry!

God Bless,   Marc

Offline 45-110

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 08:05:11 PM »
The ear plate is fastened to the trail and is allowed to pivot. The chain is affixed to it, the chain is run through the spokes and comes back to its self and is made secure by a special shape hook that weaves through a separate larger larger link. Don Lutz has all the drawings showing every part with dimensions.
http://gunneyg.info/html/AOPCatalog.htm

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 11:26:02 PM »
45-10,
Thank so much.  I have been trying to get in touch with Mr. Luts for quite some time, but no luck yet.  I understand both he and his wife are in their 80's now.  I have sent an email and a letter.  I will try calling on the phone next.  Thanks for the link.

David Crisalli
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 02:09:51 AM »
45-10,

Serendipity I guess.....right after my post to you I received a call from "Terry" at Antique Ordnance Publishers.  he had received my letter and has the No 1 Field Carriage plans in stock.  $30 for the plans and $12 postage.  I ordered a set.  I actually have a set that I ordered from them in 1971, but in that set many of the dimensions are very hard to read.  The new set was updated / improved in 2009 and is printed in a larger format.  More and better information will help with the rework of this gun.  Thanks again.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 08:18:56 PM »
Dave (a bit tongue in cheek), I keep looking for the horses to draw your cannon and limber....

Admire your search for excellence in completing your artillery piece - and your use of the manhole cover as an anvil!  That truly was inventiveness on your part.  Perhaps a "road guard" on your next attempts?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 11:31:20 PM »
Craig,

Had to laugh.....I often press ganged my younger sisters into posting them as "road guards" to warn me about oncoming traffic.  One problem with strong arming your little sisters into things they don't want to do.....they didn't always tell me when a car was coming !!
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780