General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

Jack Hinson Rifle

<< < (3/5) > >>

delivered:
If you email me I will send pictures of both rifles!
savedwright1@gmail.com

Molly:
I sent an email ...maybe it is in your spam file. Do not feel it is a good idea to post address on a public forum.
Sure would like to see your rifle.

Bob Roller:

--- Quote from: Molly on October 20, 2021, 02:35:38 PM ---Just now, oddly enough, reading the one man war book.  Interesting but has to be some creative writing as the detail of some situations of the family's life are included.  It says the rifle shot a mini ball in 50 cal.  That would contribute to some accuracy over a round ball.  But some details are conflicting with the situation.  In thinking of what kind of rifle he wanted Hinson indicated he wanted on to fire a mini ball "as there would be plenty available" from the spoils of Union engagements.  But those would have been 58 cal ??  The author also does not seem to get the loading and firing routine correct.  Do you use a patch with a mini ball?  Do you fire the rifle from the rear trigger?

Fact or fiction it is never the less an interesting story and certainly delivered in an interesting manner.  And there is no way the incredible horror for those involved can escape coming to mind.  Life was beyond painful and I share the profound sadness that must have been with them every day.  Any yet life went on.  I would love to see the copy of the rifle and also would it not be great if some of the skilled builders would make another one or two.  Bet they would be easily sold.

--- End quote ---

A Minie' "ball is a misnamed rhing. It is NOT a BALL but an elongated,lubricated hollow base peojectile that can easily out range any round. if a bone is shat ball.It is USUALLY 58 caliber or better yet,a 54.A person hit with one is OUT of the fight and a hit in the arm or leg will almost always lead to amputation if a bone is shattered and it WILL be shattered.
Bob Roller

Hutch:

--- Quote from: delivered on October 20, 2021, 05:21:43 PM ---If you email me I will send pictures of both rifles!
savedwright1@gmail.com

--- End quote ---

Emailed.

Pvt.Jack:
delivered,
You should have an email and a phone message.
Thanks for any assistance.
PJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version