Author Topic: Jack Hinson Rifle  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Pvt.Jack

• Starting Member
Jack Hinson Rifle
« on: October 18, 2021, 08:21:39 AM »
New here and wasn’t sure where to post this question.
Has anyone documented the Hinson rifle? Specifically the barrel diameter and rifling twist rate. Also was the barrel tapered or straight? I understand it weighed 17-18 pounds and barrel was 41 inches long and .50 cal.

ghostdncr

Re: Jack Hinson Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »
What little I know about the rifle is that it's still owned by the family and seldom shows up out in public. Photos I've seen suggest a barrel about 1-1/2" across the flats, but I don't think the weight calculations don't work out for a tube that big. Given the lack of general shooting knowledge found in most journalists, it's unlikely anything short of a hands-on inspection by a knowledgeable researcher would reveal the true nature of the bore characteristics. Did it shoot Minie balls or Picket-style bullets or some other variant? There are lots of questions about this rifle and like you, I'd love to hear the facts.

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 05:11:24 PM »
Pvt. Jack,
I have a few pictures of the Hinson rifle that I got from a  perspective customer who was wanting to get a bench copy of the rifle made.  If you will send me your email address, I will send you the photographs I have concerning the rifle.  I tried to find out who the smith was that made the rifle and could not get any details.   The  guy wanting the rifle made had Rice produce a  barrel for him to use.   As the rifle is today, the barrel measures 39 inches in length and he indicated that it had been cut off in the past and he could not get the details on what  length it was originally.  He thought the original barrel measured 1 3/8 across the flats, but he had his barrel made 1 1/8 across the flats.  His info on the twist was it was a fast twist rifling that was used with some type of Enfield mold.  He had his Rice barrel cut 1 in 48 hoping he could  use both round 50 cal. balls or the long bullets if he could get the correct mold.  Bill said that the original rifle as it is today weighed in the 17 t0 18 pound range.  He is letting someone who went to gunsmithing school build the rifle, but not much work has been done yet.  One of my friends sent me a book about the rifle's owner and the history around the war.  It covers the history of the family, but very little details around the smith and rifle.  However, I have just scanned through the book and have not read it cover to cover.
                                                                     Roger Sells  rbpodge@twlakes.net
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 05:30:13 PM by rsells »

Offline Pvt.Jack

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 06:52:37 PM »
Yes, the only reference I can find to bullets is Hinson used Minie balls. I suspect the barrel is closer to 1 3/8 diameter than 1 1/2 but don’t know. I am really curious on the twist rate and wondered if gain twist is s possible. I have tried contacting the current owner with no success.

PJ

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:22:59 PM »
I built a bench copy for a guy and his wife that was doing reenacting of jack Hinson!
A lawyer has the original and my client was able to go and photograph the original rifle for my build!
Give me a call and would be glad to share all that I have!
419-680-5442
Thanks
 Steve

"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Offline Pvt.Jack

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 03:43:54 AM »
Thanks Steve, what’s a good time of day to call?

Offline Hutch

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 04:40:57 AM »
Would you mind sharing more details here? I would love to see/hear more about it also!

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 04:48:07 PM »
The rifle resides just down the road from me in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and is owned by a local retired judge. I've never seen the rifle in person but by using your favorite search engine and typing in "Jack Hinson rifle in Murfreesboro" you will get the story and quite a few images.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline delivered

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 11:37:50 PM »
If I can figger out how to post pictures I will post pictures of the org and the one I did!
The book of Jack Hinson's one man war haw several details.
Email me @ savedwright1@gmail.com.
any tome during the day or after 9:00 pm
The gentlemen that I built it for was killed in a car crash last year!
We became good friends during the build:(

Offline Molly

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »
Just now, oddly enough, reading the one man war book.  Interesting but has to be some creative writing as the detail of some situations of the family's life are included.  It says the rifle shot a mini ball in 50 cal.  That would contribute to some accuracy over a round ball.  But some details are conflicting with the situation.  In thinking of what kind of rifle he wanted Hinson indicated he wanted on to fire a mini ball "as there would be plenty available" from the spoils of Union engagements.  But those would have been 58 cal ??  The author also does not seem to get the loading and firing routine correct.  Do you use a patch with a mini ball?  Do you fire the rifle from the rear trigger?

Fact or fiction it is never the less an interesting story and certainly delivered in an interesting manner.  And there is no way the incredible horror for those involved can escape coming to mind.  Life was beyond painful and I share the profound sadness that must have been with them every day.  Any yet life went on.  I would love to see the copy of the rifle and also would it not be great if some of the skilled builders would make another one or two.  Bet they would be easily sold.

Offline delivered

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 05:21:43 PM »
If you email me I will send pictures of both rifles!
savedwright1@gmail.com

Offline Molly

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 12:55:08 PM »
I sent an email ...maybe it is in your spam file. Do not feel it is a good idea to post address on a public forum.
Sure would like to see your rifle.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 03:50:58 PM »
Just now, oddly enough, reading the one man war book.  Interesting but has to be some creative writing as the detail of some situations of the family's life are included.  It says the rifle shot a mini ball in 50 cal.  That would contribute to some accuracy over a round ball.  But some details are conflicting with the situation.  In thinking of what kind of rifle he wanted Hinson indicated he wanted on to fire a mini ball "as there would be plenty available" from the spoils of Union engagements.  But those would have been 58 cal ??  The author also does not seem to get the loading and firing routine correct.  Do you use a patch with a mini ball?  Do you fire the rifle from the rear trigger?

Fact or fiction it is never the less an interesting story and certainly delivered in an interesting manner.  And there is no way the incredible horror for those involved can escape coming to mind.  Life was beyond painful and I share the profound sadness that must have been with them every day.  Any yet life went on.  I would love to see the copy of the rifle and also would it not be great if some of the skilled builders would make another one or two.  Bet they would be easily sold.

A Minie' "ball is a misnamed rhing. It is NOT a BALL but an elongated,lubricated hollow base peojectile that can easily out range any round. if a bone is shat ball.It is USUALLY 58 caliber or better yet,a 54.A person hit with one is OUT of the fight and a hit in the arm or leg will almost always lead to amputation if a bone is shattered and it WILL be shattered.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 08:00:47 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Hutch

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 04:03:27 PM »
If you email me I will send pictures of both rifles!
savedwright1@gmail.com

Emailed.

Offline Pvt.Jack

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 05:31:34 PM »
delivered,
You should have an email and a phone message.
Thanks for any assistance.
PJ

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 06:00:59 PM »
Here is some info I found on the internet. In the picture looking at the muzzle, if the rifle is truly a 50 cal the barrel would have to be close to an 1 1/2" across the flats.

To me this rifle looks to be possibly made in Virginia. The pictures do not give enough detail to really speculate but Virginia is where I would put my money.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 01:49:35 AM »
Appears to have 7 grooves and fairly shallow ones at that.
Of courses, that is just speculation from what I see by enlarging the pictures of the muzzle.
There were no 50cal. Minnies at the time.
The smallest were .54's, seems to me. 
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Molly

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 02:47:40 AM »
The author noted the 50 cal and mini ball preference but then when the rifle was delivered to Hinson it was also written that it came with a "mold" (or "bullet  mold") so it seems possible that he may have had a mold to make his own mini balls.

BTW, got the email with the pics.  Sure looks like a nice representation of Jack's rifle.

Offline delivered

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 04:18:17 AM »
The gun that I built was a 50 cal that I had Ed Rayl make.
It was 41"-  1 3/8  diameter with a 1:28 twist to shoot a conical bullet, my wood.
Jerry Etner made the buttplate and trigger guard for me.
The only thing I did not have was a view of the cheek piece. so I didn't put one on?
The gentlemen and his wife that I build it was in a car accident last year on Nov 2 and my good friend Rich Tenan was killed!
It was to go to the visitors center there in Tenn. but the it has changed hands and they don't want the gun?
Just talked to his wife tonight and she is going to sell the gun! 

Offline Molly

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 05:03:22 AM »
OK OK...Lets get a price range.  This should be offered on the forum!!!  You have my hubbies email.  Give it to the seller and lets start a discussion.

Offline Molly

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 02:34:58 AM »
Thanks.  If it does not sell let me know.  I'll put pressure on the "old man"! ;D

MAS