General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Swiss 1-1/2F

<< < (3/4) > >>

Herb:
Here are some of the powders I test in rifles I built.  The one at the right side  is the first can of Olde Eynsford sold at the Fort Bridger Rendezvous, I think in September 2013.  The can is marked Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F, "Test Sample, Not for Resale".  The rifles are my first Bridger Hawken copy, don't remember what the next one is ( one of maybe 50 I built) and my .58 flint Hawken.  You can right click the picture to enlarge it to read, but the target shows five shots of Swiss 1 1/2F measured with a Goex 2F measure cut to hold exactly 100 grains of powder.  It held 117 grains of Swiss 1 1/2F by weight.  The mean velocity was 1647 fps with a spread of 57 fps.  So I guess I was wrong about the 100 grain limit of Swiss 1 1/2F, but there is a real upper limit of how much powder burns without wiping every shot.

Herb:
The second rifle is a .54 Hawken I made with a Douglas barrel.  I engraved the barrel for the guy I built it for.

Daryl:

--- Quote from: Herb on October 25, 2021, 11:39:30 PM --- but the target shows five shots of Swiss 1 1/2F measured with a Goex 2F measure cut to hold exactly 100 grains of powder.  It held 117 grains of Swiss 1 1/2F by weight. 

--- End quote ---

The Swiss 1 1/2F is definitely more dense (higher specific gravity) than GOEX. A measure that holds 85gr. of Swiss 1 1/2F holds 78gr. of GOEX 3F
& that Swiss charge produced some 60fps higher velocity than did the 3F GOEX load.

Herb:
Uh- that would be a RIGHT click to enlarge the picture.

Martin S.:
Herb, I know this is an old thread, but could you post a pic of your Leman flintlock, and perhaps let me know the source for your lock?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version