General discussion > Gun Building

fastener shortage

<< < (5/6) > >>

Bob Roller:
Any time I spend in the shop making ANYTHING I want it to reflect what I think of the buyer AND myself.
Bob Roller

RAT:
I have a micro-lathe and use it to make screws all the time. But you don't need one. This isn't rocket science... it's a screw. You can make a 6-32 screw out of an 8-32 screw with nothing more than a file and a threading die. Just file opposing flats on an 8-32 screw shaft. First to make it square, then octagon, then 16 sided, and finally somewhat round. Keep checking it often to make sure you don't take too much off. Some of the 8-32 thread will remain. This helps to start the die straight. Simply re-cut the threads with the die.

Jerry V Lape:
Time to review James Everett Wilson's information on screw making plates.   

Bob Roller:

--- Quote from: RAT on October 21, 2021, 10:51:14 PM ---I have a micro-lathe and use it to make screws all the time. But you don't need one. This isn't rocket science... it's a screw. You can make a 6-32 screw out of an 8-32 screw with nothing more than a file and a threading die. Just file opposing flats on an 8-32 screw shaft. First to make it square, then octagon, then 16 sided, and finally somewhat round. Keep checking it often to make sure you don't take too much off. Some of the 8-32 thread will remain. This helps to start the die straight. Simply re-cut the threads with the die.

--- End quote ---

THAT is the method to labor mightily and bring forth a mouse to quote and old line from?????
A longer than needed 8x32 can be short chucked in an electric drill and the with the drill locked in the constant run position and a sharp file applied to the spinning screw and VERY quickly a useable shank for the 6x32
will appear.A micrometer or dial caliper is useful here and is better that the calibrated eyeball. I made two 6x32's and two 8x32's the day before yesterday and spent more time finding the 6x32 die than in making the screws.
Bob Roller

Craig Wilcox:
Keith, I'd be happy taking one of your lathes and giving you more room in your shop...

I lucked into a fair number of 6 x 32 and 8 x 32 screws last year; mailed a few out to someone on the forum needing a pair.  Most guys here on the forum would do the same thing.  I do get a lift helping another gun builder as I have had so many help me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version