General discussion > Gun Building

fastener shortage

<< < (2/6) > >>

Birddog6:
Well, I guess it is just Where you want to spend your time.  I have 4 old lathes here. A old LeBlond, a Jett Machinist lathe, a small Sears lathe, and a 20" Atlas like they had on the Yorktown. Nothing bores me more than turning a piece of metal in a lathe. I do it when I have to, but when I do I am thinking of 49 other things I should be doing on that rifle rather than wasting time using that lathe. Especially for a Screw ?  I'd rather just buy a screw & go on. 
I've made Triggerguards, Triggers, Buttplates, Sights, Sideplates, Nosecaps, Underlugs, etc.  Using a lathe ? I just Despise it.  ::)  I've made every part of the rifle except the Lock & the Barrel.   

Everyone has their own Druthers......

Bob Roller:

--- Quote from: D. Keith Lisle on October 19, 2021, 09:39:13 AM ---I think the issue was getting a unplated 6-32 lock screw with the large heads that are the same size as the 8-32 & 10-32 lock screws. And also same screws having aprox 1” of shaft unthreaded.  These particular screws are not the run of the mill screws.
A few guys wanted Any long 6-32 screws to get the by til the special ones are back in stock & I found  them some & mailed out 12 dozen of them. 

However, if you have these dome head screws as shown in 6-32, I am interested in 12 to 24 of each.
The large head is 3/8”  dome head & the small one is 5/16”.  ( head is not same as typical round head)

They also make a 6-32 screw like this.  But I don’t have one (photo is 8-32)

--- End quote ---

Those are good looking screws and I have made them in the past and make the slots a "V" shape like a lot of the antique styles. I am going to make a couple today and do a time study with a new sharpened tool and 12L14 which machines with little effort.I have an Atlas 618 lathe I altered in 1974 for screw making af all kinds used in locks,triggers or whatever was needed.These types of screws are purpose driven and there is seldom any need for 2 and 7/8" of threads on a 3" screw >:(
Bob Roller

Denny:
Bob,

I have an Atlas 618 that I use for small turnings. How did you modify your lathe for screw making? Pictures please?

Thank you,
Denny

45-110:
One does not have to thread on a lathe, make the screw blank and use a die holder on tailstock . Thread the shank only as much as you need.
kw

James Rogers:

--- Quote from: 45-110 on October 19, 2021, 05:57:13 PM ---One does not have to thread on a lathe, make the screw blank and use a die holder on tailstock . Thread the shank only as much as you need.
kw

--- End quote ---

True, if one has threading dies. Most have chasers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version