Author Topic: Club Butt Fowler Terminology?  (Read 1245 times)

Bruce Mattes

Club Butt Fowler Terminology?
« on: October 19, 2021, 01:15:06 PM »
Can someone please tell me what is the proper terminology to describe the wrist area on a club butt fowler? I especially would like to know what to call the deep, hollowed out spaces on either side of the wrist that extend rearwards towards the buttplate?

My copy of Grinslade's book is packed away temporarily, and not available for study.

Here's what I think I know?

Buttstock = the entirety of the stock, from the lock panels rearwards

Butt = the entire rear face of the stock, from top-to-bottom & from side-to-side

Heel = the top rear corner of the stock as measured at the face of the butt

Toe = the bottom rear corner of the stock as measured at the face of the butt

Belly = underside portion of the buttstock extending from the toe forwards to the wrist

Comb = the portion of the buttstock that a shooter places his/her cheek against when aligning the dominant shooting eye with the front, and rear sights; as measured from the face of the butt at the heel, forward to the wrist

Point of the comb = the forward most section of the Comb that is closest to the wrist

Wrist = the portion of the stock that the shooter grasps with their trigger hand; as measured from the point of the comb, forward to the lock panels

Thanks,
             Bruce

Offline Marcruger

Re: Club Butt Fowler Terminology?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 01:24:17 PM »
"I especially would like to know what to call the deep, hollowed out spaces on either side of the wrist that extend rearwards towards the buttplate?"

I would call those recesses "unusual" and "unique"   Lol.   :-D  No idea what they are really called, and we don't see them often other than fowling pieces. 

Overall, I think you have your terms about right. 

God Bless,   Marc

Bruce Mattes

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 07:14:23 PM »
"I especially would like to know what to call the deep, hollowed out spaces on either side of the wrist that extend rearwards towards the buttplate?"

I would call those recesses "unusual" and "unique"   Lol.   :-D  No idea what they are really called, and we don't see them often other than fowling pieces. 

Overall, I think you have your terms about right. 

God Bless,   Marc

My first thought was to call those hollows a volute, but I instinctively knew that that terminology was incorrect,  and looking up the term let me know that a volute was a spiral form of carving.

The closest woodworking term that I could find was flute. But, when I think in terms of the word flute, I always think of a hollow in woodworking that is much narrower than the hollows on either side of the wrist in club butt fowlers, Hudson Valley fowlers, or French boucanniers.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 07:33:39 PM »
How about hollowed comb?  fluted comb?  Sculpted nose?

I can probably think of some other things too, but since we're talking about large, unique butts, I think I'm going to have to step away for a bit.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Laird

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 08:59:15 PM »
The term for the hollows on either side of the comb in modern firearms is flute - as in fluted comb as Eric K suggested - but these are rather "extreme" flutes!

Maybe we could call them "Jethro flutes" or "Tull flutes"!  ;D ;)
Eric Laird

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 10:44:27 PM »
I prefer club butts when they're thick as a brick.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Woodland

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 01:31:06 AM »
I prefer club butts when they're thick as a brick.

And here I thought you were going to step away from this one!  ;D

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 08:42:31 AM »
The term for the hollows on either side of the comb in modern firearms is flute - as in fluted comb as Eric K suggested - but these are rather "extreme" flutes!

Maybe we could call them "Jethro flutes" or "Tull flutes"!  ;D ;)

How about Jethro Bodine flutes?

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 01:58:41 PM »
I think "Cleavage" is the term you are looking for.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline godutch

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »
 I always enjoy this type of thread that brings out the wiseguys that lurk out there in forum-land. Keep'm com'n !  Me, I've got no opinion on the correct term for that feature so I'm staying out of it. 'Seems every time I think I'm being witty I'm only half right.  :-)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 09:11:05 PM »
I sometimes refer to them as "coves".
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.