Author Topic: The Art of the Longrifle with Ian Pratt  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
The Art of the Longrifle with Ian Pratt
« on: October 19, 2021, 05:29:30 PM »
https://www.ilovemuzzleloading.com/blog/the-art-of-the-longrifle-with-ian-pratt

This week I知 talking with Ian Pratt, contemporary artisan, about the Art of the Longrifle. This is a pretty wide subject we're talking about this week, but Ian brings some interesting insights to the conversation. This episode isn't so much about the technical nature of Ian's work, it's more about the influences and thought processes he goes through to create contemporary art using a flintlock muzzleloader as the canvas.

It may get a little funky for you, we go back in time pretty far, but this is definitely one of my favorite conversations from the show. Thank you again, Ian, for coming onto the show to chat with me

Hi, I知 Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Woodland

Re: The Art of the Longrifle with Ian Pratt
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »
I have really enjoyed your last handful of podcasts.  You are doing an outstanding job of walking the line between keeping the interest of the more experienced folks and not excluding the newcomers.  Bully for you!  keep it up.

Jon

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 07:13:42 PM »
I have really enjoyed your last handful of podcasts.  You are doing an outstanding job of walking the line between keeping the interest of the more experienced folks and not excluding the newcomers.  Bully for you!  keep it up.

Jon

Thank you kindly Jon!

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 08:38:11 PM »
Well done Ethan. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 11:41:23 PM »
Well done Ethan. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks.

Thanks a bunch Bob, means a lot.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 08:44:34 AM »
Most Excellent!

Thanks for posting Yazel!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 11:45:08 AM »
Thanks, Ethan.  I got into longrifles after I saw one for the first time,  Been shooting and making guns for a long, long time, but they were all of the more modern firearms.

Had a very small gunsmith business in a little town in Oklahoma, and one of the salesmen offered me  a factory made "Kentucky Longrifle" at a very low  price.  I had owned muzzle loaders before, the first was an 1863 Springfield .58 caliber ex-Union Army standard.

But this gun, a Pedersoli, was amazing for the long barrel, and the fancy patchbox.  And when I took it out to sight it in, at 100 yards the first three shots made a little clover leaf just to the left of center.

Then a customer had a kit that he asked me to put together for him.  It was FUN!

And now I sit here in my 20' x 24' "shop", with probably a dozen or more muzzleloaders, the only centerfire is the old semi-auto pistol hidden in a drawer.

I have become entranced by the slim, excellent, beautiful rifles and smoothbores.  And the idea that I can build one was, and is, like a fairy tale.

This old guy intends to keep at it with the firearms created years before the common era - they are FUN!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 06:35:17 PM »
I think it痴 great what you are doing with this whole series Ethan.
Sincerely,
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 05:51:06 PM »
Most Excellent!

Thanks for posting Yazel!

Curtis

Thank you Curtis! Glad you enjoyed!

Thanks, Ethan.  I got into longrifles after I saw one for the first time,  Been shooting and making guns for a long, long time, but they were all of the more modern firearms.

Had a very small gunsmith business in a little town in Oklahoma, and one of the salesmen offered me  a factory made "Kentucky Longrifle" at a very low  price.  I had owned muzzle loaders before, the first was an 1863 Springfield .58 caliber ex-Union Army standard.

But this gun, a Pedersoli, was amazing for the long barrel, and the fancy patchbox.  And when I took it out to sight it in, at 100 yards the first three shots made a little clover leaf just to the left of center.

Then a customer had a kit that he asked me to put together for him.  It was FUN!

And now I sit here in my 20' x 24' "shop", with probably a dozen or more muzzleloaders, the only centerfire is the old semi-auto pistol hidden in a drawer.

I have become entranced by the slim, excellent, beautiful rifles and smoothbores.  And the idea that I can build one was, and is, like a fairy tale.

This old guy intends to keep at it with the firearms created years before the common era - they are FUN!

Thank you for sharing Craig, I love hearing this stuff. Keep up the great work.

I think it痴 great what you are doing with this whole series Ethan.
Sincerely,
TC

Thank you TC. Your books and work have been an asset to my interests, thank you for taking the time to listen.

Offline DHouse

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 07:45:42 PM »
Great episode, really enjoyed it. You do a good job of keeping the questions flowing and letting the guests talk. Ian was a great guest as well and I really liked the parts where you dove deep into what inspires Ian, as I think it inspires others, did me anyway. This is a great resource for guys like myself who can't make it to shows and talk to like minded folk with a passion for flintlocks. Keep 'em comin'!