General discussion > Gun Building

The Art of the Longrifle with Ian Pratt

<< < (2/2)

Curtis:
Most Excellent!

Thanks for posting Yazel!

Curtis

Craig Wilcox:
Thanks, Ethan.  I got into longrifles after I saw one for the first time,  Been shooting and making guns for a long, long time, but they were all of the more modern firearms.

Had a very small gunsmith business in a little town in Oklahoma, and one of the salesmen offered me  a factory made "Kentucky Longrifle" at a very low  price.  I had owned muzzle loaders before, the first was an 1863 Springfield .58 caliber ex-Union Army standard.

But this gun, a Pedersoli, was amazing for the long barrel, and the fancy patchbox.  And when I took it out to sight it in, at 100 yards the first three shots made a little clover leaf just to the left of center.

Then a customer had a kit that he asked me to put together for him.  It was FUN!

And now I sit here in my 20' x 24' "shop", with probably a dozen or more muzzleloaders, the only centerfire is the old semi-auto pistol hidden in a drawer.

I have become entranced by the slim, excellent, beautiful rifles and smoothbores.  And the idea that I can build one was, and is, like a fairy tale.

This old guy intends to keep at it with the firearms created years before the common era - they are FUN!

T.C.Albert:
I think it’s great what you are doing with this whole series Ethan.
Sincerely,
TC

Yazel.xring:

--- Quote from: Curtis on October 22, 2021, 08:44:34 AM ---Most Excellent!

Thanks for posting Yazel!

Curtis

--- End quote ---

Thank you Curtis! Glad you enjoyed!

--- Quote from: Craig Wilcox on October 23, 2021, 11:45:08 AM ---Thanks, Ethan.  I got into longrifles after I saw one for the first time,  Been shooting and making guns for a long, long time, but they were all of the more modern firearms.

Had a very small gunsmith business in a little town in Oklahoma, and one of the salesmen offered me  a factory made "Kentucky Longrifle" at a very low  price.  I had owned muzzle loaders before, the first was an 1863 Springfield .58 caliber ex-Union Army standard.

But this gun, a Pedersoli, was amazing for the long barrel, and the fancy patchbox.  And when I took it out to sight it in, at 100 yards the first three shots made a little clover leaf just to the left of center.

Then a customer had a kit that he asked me to put together for him.  It was FUN!

And now I sit here in my 20' x 24' "shop", with probably a dozen or more muzzleloaders, the only centerfire is the old semi-auto pistol hidden in a drawer.

I have become entranced by the slim, excellent, beautiful rifles and smoothbores.  And the idea that I can build one was, and is, like a fairy tale.

This old guy intends to keep at it with the firearms created years before the common era - they are FUN!

--- End quote ---

Thank you for sharing Craig, I love hearing this stuff. Keep up the great work.

--- Quote from: T.C.Albert on October 25, 2021, 06:35:17 PM ---I think it’s great what you are doing with this whole series Ethan.
Sincerely,
TC

--- End quote ---

Thank you TC. Your books and work have been an asset to my interests, thank you for taking the time to listen.

DHouse:
Great episode, really enjoyed it. You do a good job of keeping the questions flowing and letting the guests talk. Ian was a great guest as well and I really liked the parts where you dove deep into what inspires Ian, as I think it inspires others, did me anyway. This is a great resource for guys like myself who can't make it to shows and talk to like minded folk with a passion for flintlocks. Keep 'em comin'!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version