Author Topic: Full or half stock?  (Read 1306 times)

erstrauss62

Full or half stock?
« on: October 20, 2021, 04:27:45 AM »
Please explain. Full and half stock rifle. Can you explain it so I understand? I don't know much about longrifles

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Full or half stock?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 04:34:02 AM »
Welcome to ALR!

On a fullstock gun, the wooden stock extends nearly the full length of the barrel. On a halfstock, the wooden stock ends typically half the distance up the barrel or less. And the upper ramrod pipes or thimbles are attached to a rib beneath the barrel, not the full length stock.

What brings you to this forum?
Andover, Vermont

erstrauss62

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 06:22:24 AM »
Well,
  Longer story short. I inherited some Colt percussion revolvers and a louis smirh longrifle. I will eventually sell the rifle . Stoner Creek and some others here have been kind enough to give me a little schooling on the rifle. The more I find out about a long rifle in general the more I want to know!  I'm finding some my be more decorative than others but the true craftsmanship in these rifles is unparalleled across the board. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Offline sz

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 07:36:42 AM »
Full Stock;  aag-443_1 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Half Stock:
Wes's 1.1 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »
Well,
  Longer story short. I inherited some Colt percussion revolvers and a louis smirh longrifle. I will eventually sell the rifle . Stoner Creek and some others here have been kind enough to give me a little schooling on the rifle. The more I find out about a long rifle in general the more I want to know!  I'm finding some my be more decorative than others but the true craftsmanship in these rifles is unparalleled across the board. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Music to our ears! Ask away; we love to talk longrifles! Nice that you have an eye for craftsmanship and style in longrifles already.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 04:56:41 PM »
Another term that is not intuitive is "swamped barrel".   A swamped barrel is full diameter at the breech, tapers down to a narrower diameter half way along the barrel, and then flares back out to larger diameter at the muzzle. 

The reason I have been told for swamped barrels being made is balance.  They do indeed balance better offhand than a "straight" barrel with no taper.  The breech is full to take the pressure.  The swamp is thinner to relieve weight (especially out front) overall.  The flare adds a bit of weight to the muzzle for stability offhand. 

Swamped barrels I tend to think of in full-stock guns, and most half-stock guns tended to have straight or simply tapered barrels. 

I hope this helps.   God Bless,   Marc

erstrauss62

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 09:48:57 PM »
OK now you guys are hitting me up with some extras!!! I get half and full stock now. I get the swamped barrel. What is a tappered barrel and does it have an advantage over a straight one?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 09:59:17 PM »
A tapered barrel, erstrauss62, is just that; a a full dia. barrel that tapers toward the muzzle without a waist or a flare at the muzzle.  They tend to not be as muzzle heavy as a straight dia. barrel.  This enables them to shed a bit of potential weight and possibly a bit quicker on the movement when switching aim.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.