Author Topic: a.h fox kentucky rifle  (Read 4214 times)

lew wetzel

a.h fox kentucky rifle
« on: August 10, 2008, 02:51:58 AM »
i went to an estate auction today and they were auctioning a a.h.fox kentucky rifle.was a 32cal percussion and it went for $425.00.and of course i didnt get it.had a large crack in the stock.over all was a pretty decent gun though...

Levy

Re: a.h fox kentucky rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
I wonder if he was related to the A. H. Fox who made double barreled shotguns in the early 1900's?  I have one of those which I inherited from my Great Grandfather.

James Levy

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »
I wonder if he was related to the A. H. Fox who made double barreled shotguns in the early 1900's?  I have one of those which I inherited from my Great Grandfather.

James Levy

Possible I guess, but I doubt it.  There was no mention of a family history of gunsmithing in the very well researched book about him and the shotguns.  Ansley H Fox was a competiton shooter who wanted to improve the shotgun, great guns but a a terrible business man. his first attempt in Baltimore went belly up in a hurry, he tried again in Philadephia and after a couple years the company was taken over by investors but kept his name. 

He also invented a self lighting cigarette, another company that went up in smoke.   

Rick

"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »
i believe it to be the one and same.after the auctipon i came home and googled a.h. fox and was surprised to see some of the dbl.barrel shotguns.

billd

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:48:04 AM »
Ansley Fox also started an automobile company, Fox Automobiles.  That also went belly up. There used to be one in Harrah's car collection in Vegas many years ago.