Author Topic: Engraving Bison Horn  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Engraving Bison Horn
« on: October 22, 2021, 09:44:11 PM »
I have had a request to engrave a bison horn.   I have never worked with bison.   I am wondering what you use to to make the lines stand out against the black background?   Does anybody have any experience with this?

Offline aaronc

Re: Engraving Bison Horn
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 10:30:48 PM »
I have had a request to engrave a bison horn.   I have never worked with bison.   I am wondering what you use to to make the lines stand out against the black background?   Does anybody have any experience with this?

Never done it, but your going to have to use something white or near white unless you go for some sort of metallic color like gold or silver,...right ??
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 10:37:23 PM »
I have found white drawing ink.   I use other colors of drawing ink on white horns.   Just not sure how well the white drawing ink will stand out on the bison horn.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 10:44:50 PM »
I have found white drawing ink.   I use other colors of drawing ink on white horns.   Just not sure how well the white drawing ink will stand out on the bison horn.

Not sure,..I've never tried to basically "reverse" the normal concept. If it doesn't work you may could go the route of mixing up some very fine white horn dust and CA glue or something. Something of that nature is where my mind is headed. It may turn out to be more of an inlay type project using some type of material rather than traditional ink etc.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 10:45:27 PM »
Afternoon. When I was in high school loonngg, many years ago. Fort Collings Colorado had a small museum with 1860's plus western collectibles. I seen a buffalo horn, crudely engraved and inked?? in red ink? I think the museum has passed into history. Thats all the history I can share. Have a great week end. AJ.

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 10:49:28 PM »
I'm just throwing some ideas out here..and your talented enough to do whatever and you work with different materials..so maybe even consider doing a pewter inlay. Just going to depend on what will reflect the most light against that horn imo, also the "fineness" of the lines you plan on doing.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 11:46:28 PM »
I haven't done one in fifteen years, but I do remember using this.

Worked great.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 12:43:37 AM »
The one Bison horn that I engraved, I used red India ink. You can't see the drawings from across the room, but it does look pretty good the closer you get. I have a horn on my bench right now and will try white acrylic paint on that one. If it doesn't work..... I'll scrape it off.   Interesting.....JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline J Henry

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 02:41:17 AM »
   I've used White Paint, more open time and stands out nice. White shoe polish for putting a pattern on the horn,

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 02:51:22 AM »
   I've used White Paint, more open time and stands out nice. White shoe polish for putting a pattern on the horn,

What kind of white paint?

Offline J Henry

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »
  I use Artist white On the label it reads art oil color, Titanium white, in linseed oil.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 04:41:03 PM »
Scott and Cathy Sibley have done some in white and red. also Steve Elk. They would be a good source for suggestions.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 08:12:58 PM »
I have used craft acrylics on dark horns. It works very well, and is durable enough to take a light cleaning if need be. I prefer mat clear acrylic, with some red chalk line chalk Mixtec in for color. It come out a good natural brick red. Wipe the excess of before it fully dries with a damp cloth. Good luck.

Hungry Horse

Offline Not English

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 02:06:11 AM »
I will second J Henry's suggestion. I was told by a respected horn maker decades ago to use Titanium White. A small tube of artist's color will last a very long time. He commented that the titanium white was important due to the color of the white.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 11:59:45 PM »
The Sibleys made a St. Louis horn for me & used red for the Catlin style engraving. Looks just fine.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 05:14:56 PM »
I have seen and used red ink and it looks good. Prepping the surface is the worst part of making a bison horn.

Cory Joe

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 03:33:53 PM »
I ended up using Titanium White Artist's Oil paint.    Although, the lines ended up standing out quite well from the shiny black background with just a rub with a light gray Scotchbrite pad.     

Here are some pics.  I didn't make the horn.  I just did the engraving.   I must apologize for the quality of the photos.   I found it very difficult to photograph the shiny black horn.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 03:38:12 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 04:45:36 PM »
Nice! Very appealing!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline ScottH

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 10:16:48 PM »
Nice work Mark! Very nice collaborative effort!  8)

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 12:57:51 AM »
Mark, I think it looks great. You did a fine job of engraving and anyone would be proud to carry it with them.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 02:25:06 PM »
Agreed! Its beautiful.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 03:07:12 PM »
 Nice work Mark, very sharp and clean. The horn itself is different but that is not bad, just getting those tacks to come out even is quite a mission. Not sure how that shot charge head will work for powder but maybe it is intended for shot.

Tim
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 05:19:53 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 03:45:15 PM »
I agree the the horn is "different".   It is not want I would have made, but it is what the owner wanted.  Also,  it is not be be used.   It is for display only.  He has had another made similar to it that he wants engraved.   I am working on a design right now.   He wanted something inspired by native American designs.

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 01:46:06 AM »
That is a very good looking horn. The white appears to show up quite well; much better than the red ink I used. It is going to be white paint from now on. Thank you Mr. Elliott.   JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »
Nice clean work.  I have about finished a buffalo horn and plan to scrimshaw it. I noticed the texture of the horn is a little coarser than a typical cow horn.  What type of tool did you use as a scribe.