Author Topic: okay whats the trick?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline yip

okay whats the trick?
« on: October 22, 2021, 11:47:03 PM »
   trying to do a little silver wire inlay and having troublewiththe wire staying in the wood. been practing on scrap piece of wood (maple)  the wire is .010 thick and 3/32 wide any advice would be welcome.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: okay whats the trick?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 11:56:36 PM »
Perhaps the groove you cut for the 'wire' is too wide (thick).  I use hack-saw blades ground down to the width and thickness I want.  I usually punch in about 3/32" deep.  I cut my ribbons 1/16" wide or maybe just a few thou wider.  I file a taper to the ribbons against a piece of wood, to create a knife edge  section.  I drag the ribbon between a file and a piece of wood to cut longitudinal lines into the ribbon which help to anchor the ribbon in the wood.  After the ribbon is set into the groove, I use a wet cloth to dampen the wood and swell the groove shut onto the ribbon.
Alternatively, I use the ribbon at its full thickness, but lay it on a block of wood and with a sharp knife create a ka-zillion little knicks in the bottom edge of the ribbon.  Many of these knicks will be displaced metal that sticks out the side of the ribbon's thickness, and once tapped into the tight groove and swollen, the ribbon can not come back out.
So, cut your ribbons narrower, ie:  around 1/16" rather than 3/32".  The narrower ribbons will seat into the groove more easily without folding over, which is another problem, especially with very thin stock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 02:25:13 AM »
I do mine pretty much the same, except i pull about a foot of wire at a time thru a folded piece of 120 grit emery cloth
& make the longitude lines. This puts lines on both sides of the ribbon at the same time.
You will need to make several widths of stabbing cutters & a few curved ones as well. They may make a tool for doing this but I made my own out of broken hacksaw blades.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 05:35:59 AM »
The trick is to use sharp stamping tools that cut in and press the wood apart, then after you insert the wire and dampened the wood it will swell and try to return to it’s initial position gripping the wire. Of coarse you need to prepare the wire as others have said so it won’t back out after the wood dries. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 05:46:41 AM by flinchrocket »