Author Topic: Bonewitz rifle completed  (Read 3063 times)

Offline coopersdad

Bonewitz rifle completed
« on: October 23, 2021, 07:30:09 PM »
I've been working on this rifle for about three years, between other (non-rifle building) projects, and finally got it done.  Stock is from Harrison's, barrel is a Rice Golden Age 46" .50, and the lock is a Chambers.  This was my first brass patchbox, first engraving (other than my initials once), and most extensive carving.  I am mostly pleased with how it looks, but would love comments/criticism. 

I'll start with the criticism.  This was my first curved comb rifle, and I must have made some fundamental layout errors, as it's an unpleasant cheek smacker, bench and offhand.  At its first range session I fired five shots, packed up and came home.  My cheek still hurts a bit.   The profile matches the original rifle the plans were drawn from, so maybe it's that way too?   I'm thinking of rasping off some wood where my cheek gets hit, but not sure I can keep the proper profile. Any suggestions would be welcome!  And if it ends up a wallhanger, I'll be disappointed but hope I learned something not to repeat.

Mike Westcott

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Bonewitz rifle completed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 07:44:00 PM »
I think it looks very good. Obvious to even a redneck like me that you have got talent. I like your carving an inletting looks fine to me. Wish I could suggest something for the cheek slapping but I cant. Nice Job
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 08:03:48 PM »
Very nice....!!!

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 09:09:12 PM »
Really nice looking rifle, Mike.  As to the cheek slapping, try coming "up" to the cheek rest from the side, not pushing your face & cheek bone down hard onto it from above.
  This can make a big difference to the way the rifle recoils.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »
I also like it -- I think it is made well from what I can see - color is nice and the carving is well done. The total rifle flows very well to my eye.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 12:08:26 AM »
I like it, a simple and elegant looking rifle.  To me, there is nothing that I would comment negatively on this rifle, the metal and stock finish look great!  As for the cheek slap, well hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this style of rifle will have more insight, a 50 call shouldn’t be that bad to shoot.  What’s the trigger pull?
Bob

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 12:30:50 AM »
 Nice clean lines and workmanship.

Tim C.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 12:49:45 AM »
Beautiful rifle.  Always loved Bonewitz school rifles.  Excellent amount of details with the right amount of enhancement.  GOOD JOB 👍👍👍
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Reegee/Flint

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 01:27:26 AM »
 ;DTheres something to be said about not hurrying, new ideas pop up, new skills are learned, techniques are honed and the result is a beautiful rifle that anyone would be proud to place above the fire place. Well done!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 01:33:42 AM »
That’s a very good looking rifle. You should be pleased.
Andover, Vermont

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 01:36:34 AM »
Fine looking rifle.  Very nicely done.
I’m afraid I can’t offer anything as to its shoot ability.  I’ve never shot a rifle of that style profile.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline john bohan

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 03:16:28 AM »
The way she looks no wonder it took you 3 years. VERY NICE WORK.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 03:50:34 AM »
Very well done..  Clean crisp carving.  Too bad about the cheek slap, I'd try what Daryl suggested first, just might be a technique adjustment.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 05:01:04 AM »
Coopersdad,
Very nice job! You’ve done well.
On my first couple of Lehigh’s, I had the same problem with cheek slap.  On these curved combs, the drop at the comb, too much “hump”, and the thinness at the comb, all add to that issue.
I’d learn to shoot this one, unless you really want to redo this one.
Again, beautiful rifle! Good luck.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »
To my humble opinion, you did a very nice job on this one
Love it
Thanks for sharing Hawkeye

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 02:54:43 PM »
Hey Mike - first off - congrats on getting this rifle completed.  Any completed project is an accomplishment worthy of praise.  I as well can't offer any suggestions on felt recoil.  The rifle looks very well done from my eye.  Your inletting is excellent.  The carving, your backgrounds look nice and flat, modeling is very well done, nice contrast around the elements with your finish.  You say that is your first scratch brass box - I don't see anything there that I would have done differently.  Would like a shot of the release mechanism and the interior of the box.  I always like to see the different ways builders construct the mechanical parts of these boxes - just one of my quirks.  Engraving, are you chasing or using an air powered system?  Your engraving looks smooth with good flow in the design.  The only thing I would have done differently would be to add in more shading lines to make the individual elements pop a bit more - however, if the study piece wasn't done this way that may not be the look you wanted.  Very nice rifle dude - I'd be proud of it - take care.
                               - J.R.
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 03:11:55 PM »
Mike you have done a great job on the rifle all the way around. Fit, finish and engraving all are well done. Sometimes what we like in the stock architecture may not be the best or most comfortable shooting. I think that the Lancaster’s and the Moravian rifle’s because of their stock architecture make great shooter’s but life sure would be boring if that is all that was built. Great job Sir.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 03:16:38 PM »
As stated again and again, you have made a Beautiful rifle there. Now, before you start messing it up, learn how to drive that rig!!!!!

Offline flehto

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 03:23:31 PM »
Nicely built LR......doesn't look like it would be a "slapper"....how hard do you have to  press your cheek to align the sights? Perhaps the drops at comb point and heel should be greater? All my Bucks County LRs have curved combs and none are "slappers". I use a template for laying out the buttstock  that only reaches the breech end of the bbl   and the vertical location of the comb {drops}  is determined by laying my  squirrel LR on the blank  which fits me and most people perfectly {it has a slight curve to the comb}.....Fred
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:54:17 PM by flehto »

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 04:36:34 PM »
As others have said, you have done a very nice job all around. As regards the cheek slapping issue, I had the same problem with my Lehigh and found that altering my cheek position on the coomb, as Daryl has said, combined with lowering my powder load, solved the problem. Another alternative is to raise the sights, instead of rasping down the coomb. Dan Phariss, a member of this forum and an accomplished builder and shooter, recently completed a Kibler SMR in 45 caliber with a straight coomb that he found was a cheek slapper. He corrected the problem by raising the sights.
Bill

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 05:51:26 PM »
I sure appreciate all the responses!  The only guns I've done so far are Lancaster/Christian's Spring style, so I'm spoiled on nice fitting stocks.  Fred, I will follow your advice and use those measurements in the future. 

The drop at heel and comb are both less than those rifles, which is clearly contributing to the issue. I do have to press my cheek to the comb to line up the sights, but as I mess with it, I can see them OK if I adjust my head position and stance a bit and don't press so hard, so we'll see if that makes a difference.  I was shooting 70 gr. 2f, so may reduce that some.  Hadn't thought about taller sights. 

I've been measuring and comparing and drawing lines on photos trying to determine if there was some bit of offending wood I could remove along the comb to make this better, but I think it would just mess it up, so likely won't do that.

Sidelock, I've attached a photo of the box interior and release.  I copied the release as best I could from a photo of an original.  It appeared the original used nails to attach the release, but I used screws as I had it in and out a lot before I was satisfied.  And, the engraving was hammer and chisel, after about two solid weeks of practice plates....It looks OK from arm's length, but up close I have many authentic 18th century slips and goofs I added for authenticity.  Yeah, that's right, authenticity, that's the ticket....

Mike Westcott

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 09:20:43 PM »
Mike:  I have to hand it to you too...beautifully made rifle.  The wait was well rewarded.
Regarding the shooting issue, the drop at the comb is critical for a rifle that won't punish you.  I suggest that the drop at the comb needs to be around 1 5/16" minimum to about 1 3/8".  Yours looks to be around 1 1/4".  To compensate for that you are going to have to alter your shooting form, for this particular rifle.  Try this:  stand perfectly straight, rifle in hand, and pick a target on the wall.  Bring the rifle to your eye without changing your stance, lowering your head, or moving in any way.  This will cause the rifle to contact your face much further back on the buttstock, than if you drop your head down to align the sights.  If you can train yourself to shoot this way, the rifle will not hurt you.  Where the rifle contacts your shoulder too is important.  Your right arm should be parallel to the ground, not dropped down at the elbow.  Let the butt plate come into contact with the arm well inside the shoulder joint, resting against the shoulder chest muscles instead of out on your arm above the bicep muscle.  This will force the rifle forward allowing you to get your face weld further back on the buttstock, away from the comb that's punishing you.
I see a lot of people mounting their rifle like it had a scope on it, crawling up the buttstock toward the comb.  That is not necessary nor is it advantageous, and creates problems such as those you are having.
Again, congratulations on a lovely rifle. As an old timer once complimented me regarding another craft project, saying:  "You have the knack!!"
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2021, 10:31:07 PM »
Taylor, I appreciate the compliments, thank you. You are correct, the drop at comb is about 1 1/4", way too little.  This rifle was doomed from the start when I made those basic layout errors. 

I went to the range this morning and tried everything suggested and anything I could think of.  No matter where my cheek is on the buttstock it whacks me.  I tried Taylor's method as well, which is pretty much how I shoot offhand anyway, and no difference.  I lifted my head a bit as if I'd installed taller sights, and that just gave it some room to accelerate before smacking me.   
I dropped the powder charge to 50 grains, it hit just a little less.  I did, however, begin developing an impressive flinch.

I believe I have created an unshootable rifle (at least enjoyably).
Mike Westcott

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 12:17:26 AM »
Very nice. Love the carvings.

Offline Metequa

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 01:19:45 AM »
Beautiful rifle, love the color and metal treatment!