Author Topic: Snail Drum Percussion Breech Plugs?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

Snail Drum Percussion Breech Plugs?
« on: October 24, 2021, 08:06:29 PM »
The increasing demise of small businesses due to the various restrictions having been laid down by state & federal governments due to the Covid-19 virus, has exacerbated a trend that had already been taking place.

Which is to say, the loss of many small foundries,  and the unwillingness of the remaining foundries to accept orders from small muzzleoading businesses because the volume of work was too small.

Couple those facts with the lack of quality control that many of the remaining foundries seem to have, and what the custom builders of muzzleloading guns are experiencing is a intermittent lack of parts, and when parts are available, the quality is not always what builders might desire.

This seems to especially be true when it comes to breech plugs, either percussion, or flint. Even more especially true, when it comes to hooked breech plugs of either type.

My question to those members that have extensive experience handling original rifles, is how exactly was the snail drum applied to a muzzleoading barrel?

Was the snail drum always an integral part of the patentu breech plug?

Or, was the snail drum soldered/brazed to the sides of a flintlock barrel?

I am aware that a conventional drum was attached to the side of the barrel by drilling a hole in the side flat of the octagonal barrel, and then tapping the hole for female threads. The drum's male threads were subsequently threaded into hole, snugged up tight, whereupon the smith could then set up his jig to drill & tap the drum for the nipple so that the nipple would be in correct alignment with the hammer of the lock.

Is there a reason, other than legal liability, that modern rifle smiths can't silver solder a drum onto the sides of a barrel?

Thanks.

Offline Daryl

Re: Snail Drum Percussion Breech Plugs?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 08:19:37 PM »
Some were brazed to the side of the barrels, seems to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 08:58:41 PM »
Silversoldering a drum into a hole in the side of a muzzleloading barrel is a mistake.  I made the mistake about 50 years ago when I was niave and the drum failed, blowing out.  No injuries but we were lucky.  In this instance, it was a 13/16" octagonal barrel in .45 cal and a 5/16"x18 tpi drum both supplied by the client.  I learned three valuable lessons from the experience, ie:  13/16" x 45 cal barrel is too thin to accept safely a drum and nipple arrangement, never allow the client to supply the components, and don't trust someone you thought was a friend not to rat you out.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 09:28:14 PM »
Some were brazed to the side of the barrels, seems to me.
I made my first big bore ML (58 caliber) and had a bolster welded on by a man that knew what he was doing.
RIP Gene Miller.
Bob Roller

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 09:56:53 PM »
I have stopped waiting for others to provide a lot of parts.  Patent breech plugs with hooked breeches is one such part.  I have  been making them from scratch.  The plug is bar stock.  The tang is channel or angle stock.  Is tedious work and does require lathe and milling machine skills.  If the fabrication is done in small steps it is doable.  I'll try to document the next one I make for the forum. 

The average guy is in quite a pickle for these parts. 

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 12:49:38 AM »
I am one of those that has a full shop available I have never made a hooked breech from scratch but if you take the whole and break down each step it shouldn't be that difficult. In fact it would be possible to do a CAD on the whole and then machine it with a CNC. The hardest part I would think would be how to hold it. To do the snail I would probably hold it in soft jaws machined to the shape of the breech. I saw this coming though and purchased enough parts, barrels, and stocks to build four rifles at this point.
Rob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 01:17:14 AM »
The 40 caliber boys rifle I made had a 13/16 barrel and I used a 7/8x7/8 square piece of 1018 and laid it out with a height guage and adjustable paralell and turned it down to 9/16 and threaded it 18 tpi (threads per inch).
Center drilled it and made a chamber with 5/16 ball end mill and then a taper reamed to almost bore size.
This was a one piece plug with a tang that acommodated a folding tang sight. The bolster was a miniature English style copeid from an Alex Henry.Scota4570  is right and it may come to the place where decent or better quality castings are no longer available.I am so oriented ro making/fabricating parts for locks and triggers that it is no real concern for me and others who have tools and machines.I will not take any requests to make any breech plugs because like barrel making,liability IS attached.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 12:55:52 PM by Bob Roller »