Author Topic: Oak Ridge Match  (Read 917 times)

Offline snapper

Oak Ridge Match
« on: October 25, 2021, 05:44:02 PM »
I started this tread so I did not hijack the other thread regarding Lee Shavers shooting at Oak Ridge.

More information on the match can be found here: https://www.nmlra.org/creedmoor150

One of the best things is that Rick Weber, Match Director does a great job of lining up people to bring various rifles for display.

There were 3 rifles there that are 2 position rifles.   These rifles can be shot either in the prone position or from the back position.   You will notice that they have two triggers.   All 3 of these rifles are Alex Henry's, two are ML one is a cartridge rifle.   These are very rare rifles and there is only one other that we know about.  Please no discussion on the cartridge rifle.

I have attached a couple of pictures of a shooter shooting from the back position.  This shooter is 83 years old.  The guy shooting prone is Karl Kuehn and he is 86 years old.   Karl has built long rifles and his rifles have been discussed here in the past.   Karl is shooting unsupported at 1,000 yards.  The cross sticks are there to just help him rest rifle rifle when he gets tired.

The Rigby rifle in the picture was owned by one of the "Irish Eight" Elcho Shield team members and also a member of the 1877 Creedmoor team that came to the USA to compete.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline snapper

Re: Oak Ridge Match
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:06:23 PM »
At the match I ended up meeting a ALR member, Flats Guide (Richard) and his wife.   Very nice folks.

I was helping Richard out a little on Friday and after we were all done got to visiting.   He told me he goes by Flats Guide on various forums. 

He was one of the ALR members that gave me some great advice earlier this year when we visited the FL Keys.  I was happy to repay his kindness.

Fleener

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »
Good pictures, Art. Thanks.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 09:59:13 PM »
I wish now I would have come over to Oak Ridge for at least a day. From all I hear told it was a fantastic event.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 11:47:30 PM »
In 2024 the match might be a week long shooting event.  Dont know if it will be in the Spring or Fall yet.   Or what events.

Fleener

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 06:10:41 PM »
Looked like a great time. I'm trying to finish up a flint rifle in the next few months, then I'm going to order some parts from Rod to build an Alexander Henry for next year or 2023. It looks so fun.