Author Topic: Still her Knight, albeit with rusty and VERY dented armour…  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Ezra

Still her Knight, albeit with rusty and VERY dented armour…
« on: October 10, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »
I have the common malady of aches, pains and general physical limitations shared by many here.  After several shoulder surgeries (both shoulders), I find it unsettlingly painful to shoot my .58 caliber Lancaster anymore.  To the point of maybe having Bobby Hoyt re-line it to .50 caliber.  I would really appreciate your thoughts, particularly if you have already been down this path already.  Thank you.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Daryl

Re: Still her Knight, albeit with rusty and VERY dented armour…
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 11:02:52 PM »
My thoughts:
Lined to .50 will increase the weight - reduce recoil yes, but you still have to hold it. There was a time for me when I couldn't hold up my 14 bore rifle, let
alone shoot it.
I was waiting for a shoulder operation for which I was told there was an 18 month wait to get on the Surgeon's "list". After 18 months waiting I entered their
office to speak to him or someone about "The List". I was told it would be a while longer as "The Dr. is VERY busy". I informed her to "tell him he's fired".
Long story shortened:
My cousin, a family Dr., said to not wait for the operation as it would not make me 100% anyway & to work at strengthening my shoulder. At that time, I "carried"
my right arm with my hand in my sweater's pocket.  I took Rick's advice and I started a weight  program and in 6-10 months I could hold and shoot that rifle. Since
then, I've never returned to the crippled state I was in & can still shoot any of my big bores, without the  PAST shoulder protector I had to wear while doing the
later "training".
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:14:14 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 11:28:40 PM »
Great to hear Daryl!!!! There's hope.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 03:45:31 AM »
When I was 50 years old I bench pressed 315 pounds 3 times. That was a feat for an older guy. Later that afternoon I was working a green horse who pulled back, but I held on and stopped him. My farrier, a young lady who wanted to learn how I broke horses was watching. She said, " I can't believe you held on and stopped him he was really setting back." But my shoulder began to hurt. That was just the start.
A year later I could hardly shoot offhand with any of my guns as the supporting arm would give way or begin popping. The problem progressed through the next couple of years getting worse all the time. Finally I was diagnosed as having a deterorating joint disease.

Recoil is just beginning to bother me. I hunt deer with a .54 Lancaster type rifle. The wide butt plate helps a lot. I have reduced my powder charge to 75 grains of 3fg. I am ready to go down to 70 if needed. One year I hunted with 70 and shot 2 deer with complete penetration on both. So i will be comfortable hunting with 70. I might try 65 grains if needed, hardly any recoil at all and the rifle loves that load.
I have considered building another rifle with a B profile barrel in 50 caliber to bring the weight down a little. If it comes to it I will try a Limbsaver recoil pad. Surprising to me, if I shoot 10 shots through my 40 loaded with 60 grains 3f I can feel my shoulder stinging when I'm done.
The only treatment for my ailment is a double shoulder replacement. That's the last resort.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 06:31:19 AM »
14 years ago, I was carrying in some drywall when the wind caught the sheets and I ended up tearing my rotator cuff.  My doctor told me I could have surgery or just try to keep using it [ to keep it from seizing up ] and it would heal. I asked about the time frames and he said about a year either way !   My friend happened to have the same problem [ putting up 5000 bales of hay ] but he had the surgery that I didn't.  The doctor was right !   It was close to a year for each of us.  :)

Offline Ezra

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 06:43:56 PM »
Thanks guys.  I’ve had multiple rotator cuff surgeries to repair completely torn, and retracted ligaments in each shoulder.  I will continue and expand my physical therapy efforts and will gradually introduce weights to my program.  Much appreciated.

Ez

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 12:21:01 AM »
With multiple shoulder surgeries, including the removal of bicep tendons, some 25 years ago, I have about 80% use of my shoulders currently.  The surgeon told us most of the surgeries he performed were on guys that did a lot of heavy bench presses.  Then  I was told my wrecked shoulders probably came from boxing - I didn't do bench presses.  Compared to, say, the strength I had 30 years ago, I now can barely lift a gallon of milk over my head with one hand.  And decades ago I once managed a lift of 90 lbs over my head with one hand!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 01:29:15 AM »
I was lucky, my rotator cuff was OK.
Mine (torn cartilage) came from 15,000+ rounds through a .45(8) rifle I had. Just pounded it into oblivion. I reached over my head and behind me one day and my shoulder rotated
forward out of joint. I couldn't move it back, so grabbed my sleeve and yanked it forward, putting my shoulder 'back in". My Dr. said "That's when you tore the cartilage out the back.
MRI's are cool, noisy, but cool! ::)

Like Taylor says, we aren't 60 any more.
Daryl

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 04:12:47 AM »
Load it down and 'suck it up cupcake" ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 07:11:23 PM »
The only problem with loading it down, is it won't shoot as well at range (50yards and especially over that)
Daryl

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 02:41:09 AM »
Some things cannot be avoided.  Time will get us all in the end so no matter how bad it hurts try to keep a sense of humor.  The armor of both I and hubby is not only dented but rusty and needs lots of oil...just to get out of bed.  One day of activity followed by two days of rest.  But never stop trying.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 04:38:40 AM »
The only problem with loading it down, is it won't shoot as well at range (50yards and especially over that)
This is not a problem if you can barely see to shoot at 25 yds.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 08:11:47 PM »
Some things cannot be avoided.  Time will get us all in the end so no matter how bad it hurts try to keep a sense of humor.  The armor of both I and hubby is not only dented but rusty and needs lots of oil...just to get out of bed.  One day of activity followed by two days of rest.  But never stop trying.

I’m there with you Molly👍.  My beloved wife, 9 years my junior (I robbed the cradle) periodically complains of being too old for doing something (at 55 years of age 🤔).  I gently remind her that it, unfortunately, doesn’t get any easier.  Endeavor to persevere, as they say.

Ez

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 05:22:27 PM »
The only easy was yesterday

Offline Ezra

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 08:02:22 PM »
The only easy was yesterday

I remember yesterday, it wasn’t easy either.

Ez

Offline DMacKay

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 02:46:10 PM »
So I’m a bit younger than a lot of you. However I have had my shoulder rebuilt (90% tear of rotator cuff, ruptured bicep tendon and had 1/2” of collar bone removed) additionally I  have an artificial disc, titanium plate and screws holding my neck together.
As for the original question it was my experience that it did improve but it took longer than anticipated. Injuries of that type are notoriously slow to heal, those tissues just don’t have a ton of blood flow. I missed two archery seasons due to the pain however I can now shoot my 63# longbow all day without an issue and gun recoil doesn’t bother me at all. Originally I would get shooting pain.
It will get better just not as quickly as you’d like. Maybe try one of those recoil pads that you wear for a bit.
Good luck