Author Topic: Pre cut patch size  (Read 1504 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Pre cut patch size
« on: October 26, 2021, 05:52:06 AM »
When I use pre cut patches it seems that if my patch is a little over sized I can place them on the muzzle a little less carefully and still have ample material to do a good job so I like to cut my patches at least as wide as the circumference of the ball. Going to hit the pawn shops and second hand stores this coming weekend to find a hole saw for my current 66 cal build. What do the rest of you shooters use in relation to your bore size? I know some just use square patches but that seems to use up a lot of extra lube.

Offline DanL

Re: Pre cut patch size
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 04:08:23 PM »
I use square slightly oversized (for caliber) patches. It is easier for me to cut hundreds quickly with a board and fabric roll cutter. I found the square patch works better than round with my fingers. The lube required for the square patch versus the round is not an issue with me.

DanL
From God's Farm in Alabama; God bless America & "Alba gu Brath !!"

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »
smylee grouch. Sir. For patch cutters, I made them out of scraped drill bushings. I also had access to a Cincinnati Universal Grinder and a air nozzle to control the heat during the grinding process. I used mostly 1" inch bushings. I've used them for many years. I did chip a couple. To big of hammer. Have a good day. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Online Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 08:14:36 PM »
When I use pre cut patches it seems that if my patch is a little over sized I can place them on the muzzle a little less carefully and still have ample material to do a good job so I like to cut my patches at least as wide as the circumference of the ball. Going to hit the pawn shops and second hand stores this coming weekend to find a hole saw for my current 66 cal build. What do the rest of you shooters use in relation to your bore size? I know some just use square patches but that seems to use up a lot of extra lube.

Arch Punch and HDPE board work especially well, Smylee G.
So do caterpillar tractor ball bearings and bearing races.
I use a 1 1/2" arch punch for the .69 rifle and .62 smooth bore, and a 1 1/8" arch punch for .50's through .58's.
1" works well for .40's and .45's.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
I use mostly squarish pre-cut patches and haven’t noticed a difference about “extra lube” used. At least not enough difference to make a difference. I’m meticulous about patching materials but not so much about size or shape (within reason of course). Round or square. Square is just quick and easy to make. Steel still clangs and game still cleanly brought to bag. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Caveat: I’m also a true believer in coned muzzles therefore I highly recommend precut patches. That puts me in the  “heretic” camp for some so use your own discernment and, as always, other’s mileage may vary.
Kindest regards,
Johnny

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 01:21:44 PM »
I use square slightly oversized (for caliber) patches. It is easier for me to cut hundreds quickly with a board and fabric roll cutter. I found the square patch works better than round with my fingers. The lube required for the square patch versus the round is not an issue with me.

DanL

That is what I use.  I think it is called a  Driz or Dritz Rotary Cutter.  Buy the fabric in bulk & in a hour you can cut enough patches to last you for 10 yrs.  Cut bout 3-4000 of the 1", 1.25", 1.50" size patches & store them in freezer ZipLocks. One must be most cautious & for sure Do Not get it a hurry, or you will be using bloody patches.  The cutter is basically a round rotating razor blade & it Will remove fingertips before you even realize or feel it.  :o  But seriously, once you get the cutter, board, material out & ready, in 15 min you can easily cut 5000 one inch patches. If your material is 32" x 32", 2 layers of material, that is 2048 patches in one cutting. So when I get it out I first look at what sizes I have on hand & then cut ? thousands of the size I need.

I guess ? 20 yrs ago I put a dial caliper in the truck. When I was by a place that had fabric I would check the material til I found several I liked. Found/bought fabric in bulk & just bought the whole bolt. Sometimes it is a PITA to find a certain thickness, so when I Do find it, I buy allot of it.  I have loads for rifles I have shot for over 20 yrs & still have patch material for them.   Keep each rifle/load documented in a notebook & a copy put away, as sometimes it takes days to work up the best load for a rifle.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 01:42:46 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
The blood on the patch guarantees X-10's every shot ;D.When I shot a lot I bought a BIG bag of square patches from Wes Kindig and used from it for years.They were military surplus for the M1 Garand rifle and I used a concoction that was a concentrate and I think it was called "Black Solve".
It had silicon in it and it was felt on my fingers.It looked like Prestone anti freeze and worke fine.
I used the tight ball and patch combination shown me by Bill Large and it worked for me.I did not hunt any game with any muzzle loaders so the combination worked for me.I did kill some feral dogs with a civil war Remington,the same one I shot that bum with mentioned in an earlier post.I wish I still had it.
Bob Roller

Offline little joe

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 08:20:00 PM »
Bob I used that from Bill also. Miss his wisdom.

Bob I learned that from bill also. Miss his wisdom greatly.