Author Topic: Mike Lea engraving class  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Mike Lea engraving class
« on: October 29, 2021, 03:11:45 PM »
Just wanted to let all know that Mike Lea is having his engraving class at the Log Cabin on November12, 13 and 14. This is an awesome class and Mike's instructions are first rate.

If engraving is something you've always wanted try, this is a great opportunity and if you don't walk away with knowledge, then that's another story. This class is intense and well organized.

Call Liza at the Log Cabin 330-948-1082 for details. The class is small, 5 students allowed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:10:43 PM by Gaeckle »

Offline Frozen Run

Re: Mike Lea engraving class
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 07:19:28 AM »
We wrapped up day 1 at around 7pm and I am completely blown away by the experience. Mike Lea is an endless well of knowledge and has the patience of a saint, always willing to stop whatever he's teaching to elaborate on something. Which is good because this class is intense. My notebook almost caught fire more than a few times and I took more pictures than the paparrazi.

Everything was thoroughly broken down in detail and demonstrated. A LOT of information was thrown at us but nobody felt overwhelmed because of how well Mike lays it all out and addresses questions. We also shaped our own chasing hammer handles.     

Day 2 we will be shaping our gravers from blanks and applying what we learned from day 1 on some practice brass. I can't wait!           

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 05:58:23 PM »
Sounds interesting!  Could you post some pictures here with an explanation of the technique?  Thanks, Bill

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 06:57:22 AM »
Day 2

I'm not even sure if we took lunch, nobody even noticed how the time flew by. One minute we're jumping into it at 9am and the next minute someone opens the door and it's nighttime, we wrapped up at 730pm. Day two focused on application, we started by shaping our graver blanks, then mounted some practice brass, transferred our templates, and got right into engraving. We used a standard chasing graver to outline the pattern and a push graver to add shading. Techniques demonstrated yesterday were emphasized and expanded upon today.

Day 3 we plan on refining our technique and starting on letter work.

Can't wait!

Bill, sorry, no. As a new engraving student I am not sure where common knowledge ends and curriculum begins. I do plan on posting pictures of my completed work once I get a photo sharing program which I currently am not signed up for.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 06:43:33 AM »
Day 3 concluded around 5pm, though I didn't end up leaving until 7pm. There seems to be no limit to Mike's generosity or his eagerness to teach what he knows.

The final class incorporated the foundational lessons of the prior two classes and used them as building blocks for more advanced applications. The primary focus was letter work. Letter work is a very heavy subject, but Mike broke the letters down during the lecture phase on a marker board so that each letter became a combination of basic techniques we were already familiar with from the prior two days. Different types of boarders, inlaying metal into metal, and different graver profiles and there application was also taught. The hands on work focused on reinforcing foundational skills learnt from the past three days of class.

Mike has been talking to us throughout these three days to see how we would like to one day engrave our name on a piece, giving advice on different artistic flourishes. At the end of class, he brought out a small section of barrel cutoff for each student and demonstrated engraving the signature each of us designed on the top flat, then giving them to us to take home as a study piece. I know it should go in my shop, but it's probably going to end up on my mantle, it is such a work of art. The letters are so playful and lively.   

In conclusion, this has been one of the best experiences of my entire life. I know I say that a lot regarding classes, but that's just because it's true. We are a fortunate community that has access to the very best artisans in the world. I do not want to give the wrong impression to anyone reading this, I did not go from a blank slate to an accomplished or even competent engraver in 3 days. I was not expecting to. But what I did do is go from somebody who knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about engraving to someone who can shape and sharpen 4 different types of graver blanks and profiles, half a dozen different ways of mounting work pieces, half a dozen different ways of transferring patterns, diagnose problems, I can look through a loop on a finished piece and know what tool the artist used to create the cut and how they used it, I can understand engraving books, I know how to shape a hammer handle and different ways of using it to drive a graver, I know how to cut lines and curves and shade, I can cut heavy lines and skinny lines and create different effects, and most importantly I gained a mentor for life. Mike exchanges his number with all of his students so that you can contact him with problems you encounter.

I did not go into this class expecting to become a master engraver, but what I did leave with far exceeded anything even I could have expected. What I left with was total confidence and understanding in a field where my only limitation is my own desire to improve.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 07:18:46 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Sounds like a very valuable experience!
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »
Sounds like a very valuable experience!

Yes it was! Mike is a world class engraver and possesses a passion for teaching, his classes are incredibly well thought out and organized. This is one of those experiences that if you have any desire to learn engraving it is worth whatever travel arrangements you need to make to attend his class, whether you have to drive across the US or fly in from another Country.