Author Topic: Reading Patchbox  (Read 1005 times)

Offline lexington1

Reading Patchbox
« on: November 02, 2021, 09:00:43 PM »
Here are a couple pics of an early Reading smoothrifle patchbox. Has anyone ever seen a box like this before? I thought it was a unusual spring set up and had never seen one like it before.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Reading Patchbox
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 09:28:18 PM »
Are you referring to the catch spring?  If so, other counties used this device too.  Here's a JP Beck box and release and I've seen several Northhampton rifles with similar catches.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 09:59:27 PM »
John Moll

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 10:51:26 PM »
Thanks! I thought it was a tad unusual, but that's not unusual for me  :P What about the box in general?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 01:45:19 AM »
I'd say the box in general is pretty simple and nothing out of the ordinary...a fairly deep cavity with lid catch spring and kicker spring.  The patchbox is also a simple two piece design common to a multitude of longrifles from many schools.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
       Hi Wes,  Not unusual for that southeast PA area.  I think what you might be seeing as unusual is the interior shape of the box cavity.  I would guess that that as originally intended the interior shape would have been much like Taylor's  Beck style box, but w/o the ledge to set the release spring.   The maker had to remove material at the top rear to allow the spring to flex upward to release the box.  The amount of wood taken out at the back whether by mistake or design is a little on the crude side.  Of course we do know when the extra wood became missing or who may have messed with it. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard