General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

November Postal Match

(1/8) > >>

Daryl:
This month, we'll carry on with the "rest" shooting, benched or cross sticks, prone, whatever, double bagged or not, no matter - however you want, no "machine" rests, please.
Range 50 yards - rifle target - open (hunting-type) sights only.
As well, the competition will be 5 shots per target(page). The Target from page 10 http://www.targetz.com/targets10.htm will be #10142 or orange #10143.
My printer makes the outer ring, almost 7 1/2", barely 1/16" shy.  7 1/2" will be fine.
Matters not how many targets you submit. Only the best "score" counts. 1/2 ball rule applies.

The scoring will be as follows:
centre white - 10 points
1stl bl ring --- 8 points
White ring---- 4 point
Black ring----- 1 point

Total possible 50pts.
Last edit(hopefully): this time, it's accuracy + precision.
LOL - just found some I'd printed off a while ago. They measure 7 3/4" on the outside black.
I suspect it was because I used a different type of file? So - anything from 7 1/2 to 7 3/4".
The difference on the 10 ring, is 1/16".
Do not copy the below target to your desktop then attempt to print it as it will likely come out smaller yet as it did for me.
Upload from the targetz web site - link provided above.

Daryl:
Taylor and I got out today, not the nicest day, drizzling now and then but fairly warm at 7C (44 1/2F) - The coffee and donuts at Timmy's after was very good.
50 yards rest - .36 Rice bl.  .350" and .360" balls used - spit for lube - all same .021" denim patch (10 ounce) no wiping at any time. Best group/score was the
last target shot, with the .360" ball .021" denim and spit.
The first target on the left, shot with 40gr. 3F GOEX was the second one I shot. The first one, had the fouling shot striking out in the 1 ring, with the rest closer
to the centre, so I did not finish it.
As this is my match, my scores do not count.
Shoot & post as many targets as you want, boys 'n girls. No limit.

Maven:
Your third target is impressive, Daryl.  I got out today as well with my Ly. 50cal. GPR, which needed a bit of sight adjustment (windage & elevation) and a small increase in my powder charge from 60gr. Graf's/Goex FFg to 65gr. I used a RCBS .490" home cast RB (.492" in fact) + .018 pillow ticking patch lubricated with 1 water : 6 Ballistol.  Percussion caps were Remington #11.  Btw, this isn't my final entry, as I hope to get out tomorrow and try the Lee .495" RB (.497" in fact) with a thinner patch.  As you can see, the 60gr. load @ 1 o'clock was wide, but 65gr. seemed to tighten thing s up.  Also, as we shoot to the SE, glare presents a huge sighting problem.

Daryl:
Looking pretty good, Paul. That 1 hurt. Might I suggest another 5gr. to 10gr. of
powder?
My .50 Beck surely does better with it, at 50yards. I would also be trying the
.495" ball with the same .018" patch, same lube.  Experimentation is never a
waste of powder and shot.
A lad and his girl friend who used to shoot with us, both used GPR's in flint and
they both shot a 10 ounce patch with a .495" ball with 85gr. 3F.
I tried 75gr. 3F in my .50 but it much preferred 85gr. 2F GOEX, for 50 yards.
I hope you get out & post targets a bunch of times. No limit this month.

Maven:
Thanks for the powder suggestions Daryl.  I'm going to try another range session today, but my range time will be limited as it will close for deer season on Nov. 20 and I have a few commitments between now and then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version