Author Topic: Preserving original hunting bag  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Preserving original hunting bag
« on: November 05, 2021, 10:12:12 PM »
What is the best method of preserving original hunting pouches? I have several and the leather is extremely dry, and stiff. These are simple poor boy pouches, and are in need of some TLC.
Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Preserving original hunting bag
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 11:39:04 PM »
Probably one of the best treatments for old leather is "Blackrock Leather "N" Rich" that comes in a small jar, and is used like a soft wax rubbed into the entire surface of the old leather . It softens the leather and dramatically reduces brittleness and future cracking. It does not heal leather damage that has already occurred. It does darken the leather somewhat after application, but for its preservation benefits, that's a small price to pay. If applied correctly, when done, it allows you to handle old leather pieces, including hunting bags, without the fear of having them break in your hands. I have also heard that "mink oil" is good for old leather, but have not seen or used it myself so cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 01:46:59 AM »
Thanks Shelby, I’ve had a bad experience with a really early bag years ago.
I’ve recently acquired a collection of bags, and want to make sure I don’t  damage anything.
Bob.
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 04:56:52 PM »
Lexol has been used to preserve and condition leather automotive interiors for decades on high dollar antique cars.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »
Thanks Dave, will consider all options. Have you had any experience with that product?

Bob

Offline Spalding

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 06:39:57 PM »
I’ve used the Blackrock Leather n Rich on several vintage holsters and have been happy with it.

Bob

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 02:19:30 AM »
Thanks..!

Bob

Offline acorn20

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 12:42:09 AM »
I have several bark tanned deer hides that were tanned by an old timer back in the mid-sixties.  I give them all a slathering of LEXOL every five years or so to keep them supple.  I've made bags and moccasins out of them over the years and the leather keeps its shape and does not crack.
Dan Akers

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 02:42:54 AM »
Hi Bob, some years ago I found this http://leatherique.com/ cleaner and rejuvenator at a shop that did leather interiors for Rolls Royce, Mercedes, and other high end antique cars and airplanes. I don't have experience with other brands, but this stuff was very popular among members of our Mercedes collector's club.

Looking forward to seeing you at Jim's AL-KY show.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline AZshot

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 03:27:56 AM »
I've been using Lexol for about 20 years.  It's good.  There are two types, the cleaner and the preservative.  If you use both it works better than just the preservative.  The cleaner is like a jelly, and you can rub it on with a terry cloth, very heavily.  When it drys, the leather is already looking better.  The the Preservative (step 2) over the top, which I also slather on, but then wipe off before it drys or it will make a white residue that his hard to buff off on ancient leather.  I've got a Civil War cartridge box and several 100 year old holsters that I'd done this way, they look much better than when found, dry and crackly. 

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 05:15:51 AM »
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will post photo of these bags shortly.
Hope to see you at Jim’s show in January Carl, always a pleasure to visit with you.
🙏🇺🇸🦅🙏

Bob