Author Topic: Best way to hold horn while shaping it?  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Best way to hold horn while shaping it?
« on: November 07, 2021, 06:42:45 AM »
After making a few horns I am still frustrated with inability to secure it to a vise.  How are you securing the horn to work on it while shaping.

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: Best way to hold horn while shaping it?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »
Here is a video which shows two ways of making a jig  that will allow one end to be secured  in a vise with the other end  placed in the horn. Hope this helps.

You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 03:28:48 PM »
  I have been using this method for years and it works great. You don't need to cut the base until you have it shaped. After cutting if it needs the thickness at the base trued up you can put it back on the jig. I never cut first.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30428.msg291359#msg291359

Tim C.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 04:22:47 PM »
Some extra Pix:

You won't need this many but I usually start more than one horn at a time. Notice the tip of some are rounded off or pointed, that makes it fit in the horn a little better. You can cover the tip if you want but it isn't necessary.

Here are a few examples:

Jamming it it against the wall:

There are a couple other methods that may be needed, it all depends on the horn itself but this will work on 99% of them.  Any questions just ask.

Tim C.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 05:12:41 PM »
When I was in college I made dozens of horns just holding them on my thigh and scraping and shaping.  I would have to wait for breaks to go home and make base plugs.

Cory Joe

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 08:50:10 AM »
I have also found a sandbag helpful in securing a horn.  You can shape the sand bag to hold the horn in many different positions.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 09:46:18 PM »
Wow Tim - so simple, but ingenious.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 10:17:21 PM »
I don’t put them in a vice very often for most operations. Maybe cutting the tip off to start with. Otherwise I hold the horn in my left hand against a vertical support in my vice while I rotate it as I file. I find this much easier than constantly readjusting a horn that is pressed onto a leather wrapped stick.  I would use that stick in my vice while p supported the horn against it instead.