General discussion > Gun Building

1803 Harper’s Ferry barrel browning

<< < (2/6) > >>

smart dog:
Hi,
Is this the color you seek?

It was done using Waukon Bay browning with a little ferric chloride and alcohol added.  The barrel was well polished and degreased, then the browning is applied very sparingly with a swab.  The barrel is left to rust the first time only for 4-6 hours depending on humidity.  You want slow, slow rusting.  Then the barrel is washed in very hot water but NOT boiling.  The water should be about 180-190 degrees. Then the barrel is carded using a soft stainless steel wheel on my lathe (or drill).  Browning is applied again sparingly but for every subsequent application, the barrel is only allowed to rust for 2 hours.  Repeat the washing and carding and the entire cycle until you get the color and finish you want. I found that no other commercial solution gave me that color only Waukon Bay.

dave 

CooleyS:
I should have known you’d come through with what I was looking for smart dog! Do you happen to recall the ratios used in that browning process? I already have ferric chloride crystals and 90% alcohol ( I am assuming you used isopropyl and not denatured).

Daryl:
That soft brown is quite prevalent (I think) on British SxS's.
 IIRC, that was the colour on the 1803 repros too.

D. Taylor Sapergia:

This pistol was created by mt friend "Sydney" on this site.  He achieved that watery red brown on both the barrel and lock and perhaps, if he sees this, he'll join in the conversation and make comments.

CooleyS:
With the influence that English made firearms may have had on the 1803's, it makes sense that a browning process may have been borrowed or a similar method used...thanks, and I hope he does chime in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version