Author Topic: Henry Albright Rifle Finally Finished!  (Read 3851 times)

Offline BOB HILL

Re: Henry Albright Rifle Finally Finished!
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2021, 04:21:22 AM »
Outstanding. I like everything about it.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2021, 06:45:30 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the nice comments guys!  Your kind words are truly appreciated and I am deeply humbled!! 

I forgot to mention earlier that the stock was stained with asphalt tar (like used to seal a basement wall) diluted in turpentine.  The asphalt shows virtually every detail in the wood, whether you want it to or not!  It really makes curl pop on a figured stock, and on this plain stock it gave the unique coloration I was shooting for.  The finish was a couple of coats of LMF sealer, followed by many THIN coats of SB McWilliams Alkanet oil that I got from Ron Scott.  I really like that stuff. 

The stock wood was an incredibly hard plain maple blank that I picked up at Friendship about 12 years back for forty bucks.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2021, 06:55:54 AM »
Hi Curtis,   Having done a number of copies of H. Albright's work and having done some restoration on an original, I looked for a lot of details that are commonly missed.   You have checked most all of the boxes, good job!   The cheekpiece eagle (made by repose .20 thick silver) looks to be well done.  Albright was a master at using a wide shader to do the long foliage elements.  Getting the shader to cut a well defined consistent line down the center of a leaf is no easy task.    You captured the graceful C scrolls and volutes that  Albright was noted for.   I like it very much.    Ron

Thanks Ron, that means a lot coming from you.  Looking at the finished rifle I think I could have gotten a bit more aggressive with the engraving.  The hardest thing for me to get a handle on was the wriggle engraving, believe it or not!

Here is a better pic of the eagle and the negative carved bird:

Curtis

Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2021, 06:58:04 AM »
Beautiful Curtis!!  I love the shading in the carving and the eagle.  Everything shows so well and creates the illusion of depth.

dave

Thanks Dave!  The carving is really quite shallow, and I was hoping it would still pop.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2021, 07:02:58 AM »
Curtis

That rifle is a joy to look at.

You going to keep this one?

Fleener

Thanks Snapper!  I think I will probably offer this one for sale after I sight it in.  I really enjoy antique guns and by selling a couple of my guns here and there it gives me the funds to buy another antique to study etc.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2021, 07:14:33 AM »
That's is a swell rifle! Where did you hide the patchbox release? Love all the little details, thanks for sharing.

Ed and Taylor - Coopersdad got it right, the release is in the top corner of the upper plate where it meets the buttplate.  Here is an original Albright patchbox and you can see where the wood has been worn over the years from by the sideplate. 

I relieved the wood under the corner about an inch or so, and the brass sideplate is it's own spring.

Curtis
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:19:48 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2021, 07:16:25 AM »
Really like your latest work.  I can only see it on my Cell phone  my Apple Laptop  says it can't  open it (the pics) because it's  not secure.  Not sure how to fix that yet.  But  from my little pics it sure looks great.
       Most Excellent,  Hank

Glad you like it Hank, I will send you the pics in an email and hopefully you can view them there.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline t.caster

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2021, 09:07:25 PM »
Wow, like the rest said! A lot of very nice details that all work well together.
A very likeable rifle for sure!
Tom C.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2021, 10:24:37 PM »
Great rifle Curtis. Outstanding work.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2021, 11:47:34 PM »
H. Albright is my favorite gunsmith and you did perfectly in building a rifle that looks like something he would have done, great job.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline rlm

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2021, 01:57:17 AM »
Superbly done, you really captured the Henry Albright style and quality

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2021, 03:46:37 AM »
Great looking piece, Curtis!!  Love the side plate!    Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2021, 09:32:14 AM »
Sorry guys, deer season started Saturday here in Missouri and have been hunting and processing deer the past couple of days.

Henry Albright is one of my favorite gun makers as well, and I am glad to hear that I have done his style some justice!

Ed, that was an Alrbright side plate style I really like, I combined features from a couple I had photos from and kinda winged it.

Thanks everyone,

Curtis
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 08:45:23 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2021, 02:58:05 PM »
Hi Curtis,   Here are a couple of photos of the eagle and patchbox of a Henry Albright I worked on in 2013.  The eagle was made from .020 thick silver.  I like you made my form from wood, but I wonder it Albright used something else.  The patchbox photo shows the use of the shader,   
All the best  Ron

maths question paper typing software
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2021, 03:22:58 PM »
 Beautiful rifle, Outstanding design and workmanship.

Tim

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2021, 07:58:25 AM »
Thanks Tim, and also thanks for the excellent photos and the info, Ron!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2021, 05:28:46 PM »
really like that, Curtis.  You've done a marvelous job on it; everything is pert near perfect!

And it does look like it came off Albright's workbench.  I always wonder who would be the buyer of something like this, back in the day.  Someone who truly has a love for fire arms.

Thanks for show it, and for mentioning the finish technique.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline yip

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2021, 08:22:55 PM »
   EXCELLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »
Beautiful craftsmanship.  Really nice work.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.