Author Topic: Kennedy Pistol is finished  (Read 3373 times)

John Vaccaro

Kennedy Pistol is finished
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:50:01 AM »
I got these parts several years back.

I have finally finished it.

I don't know how many hours this took. Way too many!

I had to make a gouge to inlet these small elements. I don't care if I never do another one.

Sterling Silver mounts. Kennedy's mark inside the trigger guard.

John

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Kennedy Pistol is finished
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:54 AM »
Its not finished till you put it in the mail to me!!   :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Very nice!!  the patience shows!!!  Good work John!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline RobertS

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 05:03:44 AM »
What a beauty!  Thanks for showing it around!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »
Hi John,
Well done!  The inletting and finish are very good.  It is a handsome pistol.  Hopefully, you won't object to a helpful comment.  On your next gun (pistol or long gun), make the moldings around the lock and sideplates much narrower, about 1/2-1/3 the width of those on your pistol.  In fact, on Georgian era pistols such as yours, the molding almost disappears.  Search the internet for pictures of antique holster pistols and you will see what I mean.  Narrow moldings are very important on pistols because they help to blend the lock area into the rounded surfaces of the forearm and handle.  Again well done and thanks for sharing.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rick landes

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
That cap inlet looks like it was "fun". I have debated back and forth if I should say I think the cap screw should have been fire blued. I kinda like the silver blend with the cap. brass ramrod end (?) I think silver would have blended better. Overall I love the color and ditto on the side  wood.
I love projects that take time like yours did as they are such wonderful rewards when finished. I always have a lot of learning and memories in those types.
Thank you for sharing the piece. Have you fired it yet?
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

John Vaccaro

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:54:17 AM »
Dave -- Thanks for the in put. I did look up some pictures and I see what you mean. Narrower panels next time.

Rick -- I'm not sure how I missed bluing the screw. I'll get it next time I fire up the nitrate. I have shot it. I have a steel swinging target about 8 inches in diameter, I didn't hit it. I need to put up a BIG target so I can see where I'm at.
Thank you both for the comments.
John