Author Topic: Case Hardened Siler Screw Kits  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Chris Evrard

Case Hardened Siler Screw Kits
« on: November 16, 2021, 02:55:04 AM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 05:03:24 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline T*O*F

Re: Case Hardened Siler Screw Kits
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »
Are the sear screw threads stopped so that when you tighten them, it doesn't crank the bridle down on the sear?  Having excess threads is a common problem.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 08:32:29 PM »
To me, nothing looks worse on a flintlock rifle than screw slots cut on on milling machine. It looks mechanical and modern. Cut them with a knife file like the old timers did. Also, modern filister type screw heads look awful to me. I at least chuck them in a drill press and round them off a bit. Just my opinions.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 10:02:49 PM »
Are the sear screw threads stopped so that when you tighten them, it doesn't crank the bridle down on the sear?  Having excess threads is a common problem.

Sorry I missed this Dave. Tim Crosby actually started this thread for me so I wasn't being notified of replies here.

Yes, I shortened the screw threads on the sear screw so it doesn't clamp the bridle to the sear. I shot for a .010 to .020 gap between the screw and the bridle. Of course this may vary somewhat based on your castings, who built the lock, etc.

Thanks for your question!

upload images

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 10:05:12 PM »
To me, nothing looks worse on a flintlock rifle than screw slots cut on on milling machine. It looks mechanical and modern. Cut them with a knife file like the old timers did. Also, modern filister type screw heads look awful to me. I at least chuck them in a drill press and round them off a bit. Just my opinions.

Dale, I would be happy to send you unhardened screws that you could slot if you like. In fact, if there is a demand for it I'd be happy to fulfill it.

Best,

Chris E.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 03:27:41 AM »

Dale, I would be happy to send you unhardened screws that you could slot if you like. In fact, if there is a demand for it I'd be happy to fulfill it.

Best,

Chris E.

All it takes is a 6 inch knife file and a few swipes. I would imagine anyone capable of  building a long rifle could do it in a few minutes. If I am doing a fancier gun I use the screw head files from Brownell's. They aren't cheap but probably a little bit less than a milling machine. I sure don't mind doing them on  my own builds but the prospect of a bench full of screw blanks needing slotting doesn't sound real entertaining!

Dale
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 06:51:16 PM »
Chris - any chance you are going to do another run of bridleless Chambers colonial locks?
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 08:52:44 PM »
Chris - any chance you are going to do another run of bridleless Chambers colonial locks?

I get asked that quite often, so maybe I should take that as a call to action! Truth be told my lock production has been way down as machine shop takes on more lucrative work.

If I do end up doing another run (they've always sold well!) I'll let everyone here on the board know.

Thank you,

Chris E.