Author Topic: plain leather horn strap  (Read 1557 times)

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
plain leather horn strap
« on: November 09, 2021, 12:09:20 AM »
I am working on a new horn strap. just a plain leather strap. I have never actually seen how the straps were usually tied on in an 18th C manner. In the past, I just sort of tied it on however I could. Can anyone share pics of what might be a "correct way?"
Galations 2:20

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: plain leather horn strap
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »
 Not sure 19thc but here are a couple of methods that have worked for me and folks have been happy with:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=67187.msg674186#msg674186

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=66711.msg670063#msg670063

Tim

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 08:19:21 PM »
thanks  K

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 01:26:54 AM »
I surely don't have a 100% answer, but from drawings and paintings it seems cordage was used a lot.
Psalms 144

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 10:35:01 PM »
Horns with leather straps that were actually used in wilderness travel and hunting likely saw multiple straps over their life time.  The owner probably used what ever he had on hand and tied it in the most  efficient way.  It is likely that those living in settlements with a real roof over their head might have been more ornate?

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 09:37:09 PM »
My main interest and reason for asking is the details of how the horn is attached to the strap. I see sometimes it is directly to the strapping, and other times it uses a separate lace. Sometimes the lace is attached to a metal ring that is attached to the strap or sometimes it is directly attached to the strapping via a sewn loop. Other times the main strap is just split into two smaller straps or a buttonhole slit is made that ties or attaches to the horn.  Are all of these options known to have been used? Of course the way it is attached depends on the horn styling, staples, knobs etc.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 12:30:43 PM »
Hey Ken. You pose a good question. I don’t know if anyone can give you a definitive answer in re how horns were tied “in an eighteen century manner”.  I tend to think that  the horn strap question is over thunk by us moderns.

There aren’t many surviving original straps around; the few that can be found are usually with a fancy memento type horn that was well preserved and not used much. So they may not be common —but then again they may be. The 2nd link that Tim posted makes sense. I have a setup using just a simple brain tanned deerskin thong, braided, and knotted around the spout and through the staple at the butt end. I find this to be reliably secure. The braided strap and the texture of the brain tan combined with its relative thin width (a little less than half inch) grips nicely across my shoulder and settles into my notch in the collar bone. I keep it hanging rather high so it hangs under the arm just above the elbow.  Others mileage may vary.

Experiment. Find a solution that works for you and your type of horn.  Don’t worry about it. It’s all part of the fun.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 09:56:16 PM »
Thanks all. I am not intending to overthink this rather simple thing, but I have had the same horn set up for 15 years and am making a change so I thought I would explore the options, and hopefully improve my kit aiming toward being more historically accurate rather than just what I "think" is cool. I already have a strap that I like and think is cool... it might also be historically correct. But a less is more approach appeals to me.... LOL

thanks again

K

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 02:28:37 AM »
Historically correct is most likely something plain and utilitarian. Narrow leather strap sewn on, thick cordage or leather thong tied on. Even cotton, linen, woolen and hemp woven tapes.
Psalms 144

Offline Tnlonghunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 05:37:12 PM »
Probably wasn't terribly complex, if you're talking about your average guy. On mine. I have a 3/8" strap, so the front was split for several inches and tied around the strap ring on the front of the horn. One of those loose ends is threaded through in the plug to keep from losing it. The back I got only slightly more creative. I used a forged "staple" in the butt and attached the strap making a rivet from a nail. I just drove the nail through the folded over ends of the strap and peened the end of the nail.