Author Topic: Source for brick dust.  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Source for brick dust.
« on: November 18, 2021, 07:11:10 AM »
Does anyone know of a source to order some proper brick dust from? I did find some for sale in a search, but it called it baseball diamond brick dust and I'm not sure if this is what is needed.
Psalms 144

Offline HIB

Re: Source for brick dust.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 07:34:36 AM »
Clark,    Buy a diamond blade brick saw and about ten bricks from local source.   Set up over large aluminum pot and after reading saw instructions, place a 2 x 6 over pot and saw a few bricks until you have required amount of dust for your gun building project.    You missed about 10 lbs. of dust from my shop by two weeks.

Saw should be available from any hardware outlet. Use the 4" or 5" blade.  And wear safety glasses. Plus avoid drafty location to do your cutting.  Wear old clothes and ear plugs and don't allow wife near your work area.  Stay clear of distractions.

It's the only source of brick dust I know of.   Good luck.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:39:37 AM »
What is brick dust used for?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 07:44:46 AM »
What is brick dust used for?

To maintain the armory bright finish on muskets, and mixed with oil it can be used to finish a stock.
Psalms 144

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 07:50:40 AM »
Thank you!

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 01:26:32 PM »
Get yourself a hammer and a  brick  and you should be able to make all the dust you want
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 01:32:19 PM »
Get yourself a hammer and a  brick  and you should be able to make all the dust you want

This would seem to be the easiest way.  Probably can pick up plenty for free around Kenosha right now.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline DavidC

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »
As bricks were commonly a slave made good in the Caribbean they have a strong presence in voodoo, creole, and santeria traditional practices.

Assuming you just want a bit for your kit, Amazon and eBay both sell consistently sized brick dust. Also look at voodoo supply stores. There was a fellow in a reenactment group I was with that kept a tidy amount of the stuff for polishing and as a conversation piece at events. I believe he bought a 2 lb bag on ebay for around 10 bucks shipped.

Try to resist the urge to make any voodoo dolls, not many of the old timers here have much hair left anyway.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 04:05:48 PM »
I understand that I can beat a brick into dust, but modern bricks don’t look like old bricks. Mainly wondering if the new kind are made with extra stuff in them. Come to think of it, my dad has an old brick from his long torn down high school and was an old building. He says I can have it.
Psalms 144

Offline far55

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 05:03:50 PM »
In our area of south central Pa. there are a lot of clay brick that were locally made for houses and even barns 150 to 200 years ago. The softer brick were not fired as hard and were used in the inside courses so I am told. I know from experience that they break and cut easily, and can be very soft compared to modern brick.  They also can be very orange in color depending on the clay used. Old building salvage companies may have some, but scrounging around old demo sites, if accessible, should find some for free. I have also removed chimneys from old houses that were soft. Sawing as mentioned, would give a more consistantly fine powder. Also, wear a dust mask. If you know of any masory contractors who use a wet saw to cut brick on job sites, the sediment in the catch basin would work, but would be from modern hard brick, so I dont know if it will crush finer easily.    I have not heard of this before as a stock stain pigment, would it be suitable for the violin red on Lehigh rifles?  Roland

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 05:31:03 PM »
Why wouldn't rotten stone mixed in linseed oil work for this?
Tom C.

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »
...would it be suitable for the violin red on Lehigh rifles?  Roland

Not even remotely.  Those were made with either imported resin or a precipitated iron oxide.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 07:12:11 PM »
Why wouldn't rotten stone mixed in linseed oil work for this?

Oh I’m sure rottenstone would work the same or maybe better. I just want some brick dust to play around with since I know that the Royal Army issued the stuff.

As far as using it for pigment, it seems to be used more like the rottenstone to fill pores on the stock, just orange instead of gray.
Psalms 144

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 11:56:24 PM »
Clark, check the link for what you want.  http://www.avalonforge.com/MainFieldGear.htm
Scroll down the page.

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 12:59:22 AM »
Find an old brick - modern ones are fired too hard.  Look around old building for bricks that are weathing apart, or look for chinks in the ground around old historic sites.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 03:52:57 AM »
Find an old brick - modern ones are fired too hard.  Look around old building for bricks that are weathing apart, or look for chinks in the ground around old historic sites.

I know a creek that has lots of tumbled bricks in it.  If I lived nearer I'd try to gather a buch of them for pavers--they're so perfectly softened by the years washing down the stream. Once a found a nearly perfectly round "rock" then realized it was a piece of brick, tumbled into sphere by nature. They are softer. I don't think modern bricks would wear so much.
Hold to the Wind