Author Topic: German Jager rifle  (Read 2794 times)

Offline runastav

German Jager rifle
« on: November 19, 2021, 07:06:54 PM »
Hi All! This nice Jager rifle belong to a gunbuddy, need some TLC  ;)The rifle is converted from flint to percussion , but there is no name or # on the gun
Runar

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: German Jager rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »
Runar:  I'm not seeing any evidence of the rifle having been a flintlock.  At least there isn't any evidence on the plate of a conversion.  What makes you think it was once a flintlock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline yesterdayschild

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 09:10:32 PM »
That is a beautiful rifle!  8)

Offline runastav

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 09:13:50 PM »
Hi Taylor! If you blow up the photos you can see the plugged screew holes for the pan frizzen screew and panresess, the outside its not show maby cower by the deap engrawing?
Runar

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 02:19:49 AM »
Thank you for sharing Runar!
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 03:57:14 AM »
Runar, I had questioned it's conversion also so thanks for the explanation. Just what are you going to be doing with this fine rifle?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 07:24:14 AM »
I've seen these types of fancy carved Jaegers before, but the "checkering" on this one blows my mind!!!
Thanks for showing it.
Tom C.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
I was looking at that checkering with magnified view.  It is more carving than checkering as we know it.  each of those diamonds is chisel cut on a slope from front to rear.  The dots are probably punched and he managed to keep all the lines straight even on the grip which is particularly difficult considering the contour.  I continue to be amazed at much more advanced the European arms industry was compared to our early long rifles.   The castings on the lock plates and butt plate is beyond anything i have seen on any of the early long rifles.  I do recognize the limitations  of our early builders  not having all the well developed supporting industry and wealthy patrons to pay for the labor.   

Offline runastav

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 03:20:32 PM »
Hi All, and thank you folks! The reason I remowe the patent breach was a wire brush sitting fast in the barrel! And works on gun will be adjusting the set trigger and maby some other smal thing. The breach  is a pillar see photos, the barrel is 25-3/4" long and swamped 8 rifles/lands and 591" -15,03mm in rifling and 567"-14,40mm on lands.Here comes more photos of the nice carwing ;)
Runar

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 04:16:05 PM »
 Do you think the checkering /carving was done by 1, cut the lines 2, punch the dots 3, cut out the chips? That is really well done, then again the whole rifle is, what a find.

Tim C.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 10:52:10 PM »
Ahh look at that, a Tige breech plug.
The powder charge filled the breech plug and bore up to the end of the pin, then the ball or slug was dropped in and the rod "thrown 3 times onto the projectile" to slug it up to fill the rifling.
THIS is one aspect of where the "throwing of the rod" came from. The US military, on the other side of the pond, did it as well with the paper ctgs. to ensure the ctg. was on the powder, through the fouling.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:34:02 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline acorn20

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 03:29:08 AM »
A very interesting rifle Runar.  The fine checkering reminds me of fish scales and I, like Tim, wonder about the steps in its construction.
It's also nice to view the engraving of the time.  Thanks for the clear pictures and sharing this gem.
Dan Akers

Online lexington1

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 03:43:54 AM »
That is very interesting. I had never heard of that before, but it's a good concept. Learn something new every day!

Ahh look at that, a Tige breech plug.
The powder charge filled the breech plug and bore up to the end of the pin, then the ball or slug was dropped in and the rod "thrown 3 times onto the projectile" to slug it up to fill the rifling.
THIS is where the "throwing of the rod" came from. The US military did it as well with the paper ctgs. to ensure the ctg. was on the powder, through the fouling.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 04:35:55 PM »
I wonder about the time involved to make this very special high art rifle and how many craftsmen were involved.
This certainly is unusual and NO name on it.What does the assembled lock look like?
Thank you for the pictures,
Bob Roller

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 05:12:11 PM »
Tim C.
  If you haven’t seen it,  Runar loaded these to the image hosting site in hi-res. The pic of the grip below the tang is 2.2mb and it shows a lot of detail.
-Bob D.

Offline runastav

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 06:53:04 PM »
Hi all and thank you!Bob be pation its coming ;)I asked a real gunsmith friend who study 4 years in Germany to be a gunsmith name Alf Helland, he have build a wery nice air rifle (Girardoni) the old way and write a book about the 3 years work! Ok, he say about the checkering its typikal German fishscale checkering typikal  south-germany and østerike.Cut with special gouges 1 cut vertikal and 1 cut 5-10 degreas.
Here is Alf Hellands blog!https://handverksinstituttet.no/stipendiater/tidligere-stipendiater/alf-h.-helland-boersemaker/boersemakerens-blogg

Runar

Offline runastav

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 10:26:07 PM »
Hi all! Taylor, here is more prowe for conwersion ;)Bob, here is the lock!
Runar

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 03:29:45 AM »
That's so close to slipping off.
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 05:01:02 AM »
That's so close to slipping off.

that

If the upper limb has a a pin that is not loose in the hole thru the plate it
will probably be OK but I agree that it is a bit closer than I would want in a shooter.
Bob Roller

Offline Angus

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 05:07:50 AM »
Runar,
Thanks for sharing pictures.
That is a more manageable fly to keep track of. At least you can pick it up without tweezers.

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 05:10:21 AM »
Won't the main spring sit higher on the tumbler when it's in the gun, resting on the nipple??

Or, it SHOULD at least.....

Offline Not English

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 08:11:25 AM »
Runar,

Thanks for posting. That's  a fantastic rifle! I've already learned quite a bit just from the accompanying posts.

Dave

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 09:14:03 AM »
Won't the main spring sit higher on the tumbler when it's in the gun, resting on the nipple??

Yes, you are right, as long as the nipple is high enough. If the nipple is removed and the hammer slips out of the hand, the spring takes out the bottom of the lock, mortise.
Daryl

Offline runastav

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 03:30:28 PM »
Hi all! and thank you! Settrigger needed some adjusting, and I made a new front pin trigger and made a sort of drop. The old ball was not original and was GLUED on >:(
Runar

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »

Yes, you are right, as long as the nipple is high enough. If the nipple is removed and the hammer slips out of the hand, the spring takes out the bottom of the lock, mortise.
I missed that one.One of the joys of an aging and feeble mind.The removal of the bottom of the lock mortise is a real bummer.I got a call years ago from a man who had a production lock that had the mainspring break just past the point where the tumbler could have stopped it and it knocked the lock mortise out on a newly finished gun.He wanted me to repair it and I told him I did NO repairs on other makers locks and he should return it to
the maker.
Bob Roller