Author Topic: Re:)black powder  (Read 2548 times)

Offline john bohan

Re:)black powder
« on: November 20, 2021, 01:36:15 AM »
Big surprize, I was able to buy a pound of 2f schuetzen today,only $42.00,big surprize.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 02:38:26 AM »
Ross Seyfried did an article on that powder some years ago and was very surprised it made some of his antiques regulate to their "factory" sights.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 08:05:30 AM »
I did have good enuf accuracy with schuetzen but it seems to make some fairly stiff fowling, especially the last inch or so before final seating depth. I now use it in unmentionables, which works fine.
Psalms 144

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 03:23:07 PM »
I have used Schuetzen 2f for about 20 years. I find to be very close to Goex 2f.
For about 15 years most of the powder I shot came from prize tables. So if Shuetzen was on the table I would take it. The same went for Goex.
For shooting Trailwalks, the difference was insignificant. For shooting Cross sticks, I would stick with Goex, since my rifle was tuned to it.
Never saw any difference in fowling.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline john bohan

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 07:50:28 PM »
My point was I could'nt believe $42 per pound.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 08:20:43 PM »
John you are right. The day the news about GOEX broke I bought 25 lbs. of GOEX 3F for $18.00 per pound.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 10:04:47 PM »
Ok, if you buy one pound from a retailer, that is what I would expect.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 10:55:32 PM »
Ok, if you buy one pound from a retailer, that is what I would expect.
Yes,and if they have a captive market in their area they will take advantage of it.
Bob Roller

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 03:20:55 AM »
John you are right. The day the news about GOEX broke I bought 25 lbs. of GOEX 3F for $18.00 per pound.

Be happy with your good fortune.  Two weeks ago a buddy had his name on the list with one of the major supply retailers and they called saying they got a last shipment of Goex in.  He got a case, but with shipping and fees it came to $33 per pound.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 03:43:05 PM »
Ross Seyfried did an article on that powder some years ago and was very surprised it made some of his antiques regulate to their "factory" sights.

I don't know how I missed this.The late Tom Dawson probably knew more about double rifles than any other American of his time.
He built several fine ones and owned a number of others including a .500 I sold him.I had some old Kynoch loads I gave him and they were black powder.It WAS a "Black Powder Express" and he said with the Kynock loads it would put both barrels on a cat's axx at 100 yards from a rest. GOEX was just becoming available and he loaded the fired cases with it and that fine accuracy went away and velocity excursions were
easy to prove with his chronograph.He had a double barreled flintlock rifle he built with Bill Large barrels that he had regulated with DuPont
and with the GOEX it was impossible to regulate it.He called the offices of GOEX and was told they were not interest in an exotic relic but were looking at the market that was happy if the gun even fired.I have never shot BP thru the chronograph so can offer nothing about the powder(s) we now have other than Elephant had less punch when used in a 45 caliber revolver I used in BPCR years ago as compared to
old DuPont and the then (1996) GOEX.
Bob Roller

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 04:22:29 PM »
So the BIG question is...Will there be black powder back on the market soon? If so, which brand is still in business?
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 06:55:58 PM »
Dan yes there will be black powder Swiss and Scheutzen. I spoke with a supplier this week and he has a large order of Scheutzen due to arrive this summer 22,000 lbs. which is the maximum capacity for his powder magazine. He is also contemplating building a second magazine to store Swiss. This dry spell wont last and the supply will catch up to demand.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 07:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the good news!
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 03:47:23 AM »
Uh OH! ::)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JHeath

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 07:17:33 AM »

Time to nix this one Mods………

That's what I was already thinking.

Offline JHeath

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 07:36:25 AM »
Uh OH! ::)

Ha ha Daryl, the laugh is that I'm happily living in British Columbia now, where a Purchase and Aquisition license is required for a percussion lock but not a flintlock. If $42/lb USD sets off the yanks against govt imagine having to take a gun ownership course and apply to the police to buy a caplock rifle, and still not being able to legally own a flintlock pistol. And there is no muzzleloader season so hunting with a flintlock is purely a labor of love. Do you know the nearest place to Rossland/Trail to buy Swiss? Iirc you are over toward the Okanogan. I brought 3 lbs of Goex. I'm a yank and my wife is Quebecoise, which makes us the two most popular groups in BC.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2021, 03:16:38 PM »
Goex’s closing had more to do with a fire they had back in the summer.  They never resumed production after that.  Likely huge costs to rebuild, insurance premiums, and probably some government agency (OSHA or NFPA) fines to deal with.  And the other hard reality is unfortunately, demand.  Hodgden who owns them is keeping the inline specialty powder line going.  But letting Goex go.  If no buyer, it will be another on the pile of former black powder makers.  And the last in the US.  I’d say chances are slim for a new buyer, given what they would be inheriting, but I hope that materializes. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 09:57:05 PM »
I am locking this topic, we still have members that continue to ignore our rules. I removed those posts that are against our rules but if it continues we are going to have to take further action.
Dennis
AlrcAdmin
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson