Author Topic: Kibler colonial set triggers  (Read 2865 times)

Offline JPK

Kibler colonial set triggers
« on: November 22, 2021, 03:26:01 AM »
Some where I read a post that set triggers had been installed in a Kibler. Hoping it was on this site, could someone point me in the right direction?
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Kibler colonial set triggers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 03:33:29 AM »
I have done it several times.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 03:36:20 AM »
Not a problem. Just lay out the work first.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 05:11:27 PM »
You'll have to patch the wood  for about an inch  on both sides  of the trigger plate
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 05:28:05 PM »
You'll have to patch the wood  for about an inch  on both sides  of the trigger plate

What length and what width would be required to prevent a patched stock? I have in the past made triggers to
a specific lengrh and width plus the curvature of the stock.Also the position of the sear at full cock is a help.

Bob Roller

Offline JPK

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 06:42:56 PM »
Thanks, I figured like most projects it a matter of effort expended to adapt a set trigger to the Kibler. Since it’s been done by someone I hoped to find out what trigger set worked for him. If I knew this I would be on the hunt for the triggers while I wait on the rifle. Most of the advanced builders are on this site so here is the best place to ask.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »
I used the Davis #4.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 07:44:17 PM »

Offline JPK

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 07:46:01 PM »
Thank you Stoner.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 10:55:31 PM »
Out of the box, the trigger/lock combination on the Kibler colonial is very, nice, easy to shoot.  Make sure you try one before committing to the extra work to install a set trigger.

Offline EC121

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 11:09:37 PM »
The set trigger also extends the LOP just a little.
Brice Stultz

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 11:38:06 PM »
I have never really figured out the need for set triggers on a rifle that has no sights worthy of mention.
Tradition I suppose is the main reason.Locks with a "fly" made the use of my own set triggers possible.
The single bar set trigger and a lock with a half cock and no fly won't work if the spring driven rear trigger
can't hold the sear up long enough for the lock to complete the firing cycle,especially a flintlock.
I noticed long ago that caplock rifles that used the "Has to be set"trigger had no half cock.
Bob Roller

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 02:20:17 AM »
I thought the tumbler required a fly for a set trigger to function. The Kibler Colonial has no fly.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 03:27:10 AM »
That would depend on the lock (sear and tumbler) geometry, to some extent.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 05:13:30 AM »
A tricky balance of springs and it all depends on a lock capable of abrupt tumbler cock rotation if it has no "fly".
I would think a modern lock without this little device which IS in reality an intercepting cam that pushes the point of the sear over the half cocked position would be a rare item.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
I agree, Bob. A lock with set trigger without a fly, would have to be perfectly timed and shaped to prevent the 1/2 cock notch catching the sear.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Frank

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »
I thought the tumbler required a fly for a set trigger to function. The Kibler Colonial has no fly.

Is this true? The Chambers lock on the original Colonial rifle had a fly, and I assumed the Kibler lock would have one as well. I checked Jim Kibler's website and I see no reference to a fly on his Colonial rifle lock. Hard to believe Jim would make a lock without a fly.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:25:44 PM by Frank »

Offline BruceH

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 12:23:42 PM »
The Kibler Colonial lock produced today by Kibler does have a fly, as did the Chambers lock used previously in those kits.  Kibler, did make an original order of that lock (100 produced - I was told) that did not have a fly.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 02:57:04 PM »

Is this true? The Chambers lock on the original Colonial rifle had a fly, and I assumed the Kibler lock would have one as well. I checked Jim Kibler's website and I see no reference to a fly on his Colonial rifle lock.
All Chambers locks have flies. As do all Davis and L&R locks and do on. It’s hard to find a  newly made commercial lock without a fly. They just don’t make them like that anymore. Customers want a fly.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 04:11:21 PM »
The Kibler Colonial lock produced today by Kibler does have a fly, as did the Chambers lock used previously in those kits.  Kibler, did make an original order of that lock (100 produced - I was told) that did not have a fly.
Ah yes- it does have a fly  :)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 04:35:12 PM »
I have removed the fly from my fowler lock. In very cold weather, it would sometimes catch and prevent the lock from firing, so I tossed it.  100 % reliable now . :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2021, 02:44:59 AM »
The "FLY" caused the lock to jam?? That's a new one to me.
Bob Roller

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 04:14:45 PM »
The "FLY" caused the lock to jam?? That's a new one to me.
Bob Roller
The lube would affect the operation in the extreme cold, and I think that the finish surface  on the parts was probably a factor too.  Since I was hunting at the time, I simply removed the fly and that was it.   I never bothered re installing it .

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2021, 04:39:56 PM »

Is this true? The Chambers lock on the original Colonial rifle had a fly, and I assumed the Kibler lock would have one as well. I checked Jim Kibler's website and I see no reference to a fly on his Colonial rifle lock.
All Chambers locks have flies. As do all Davis and L&R locks and do on. It’s hard to find a  newly made commercial lock without a fly. They just don’t make them like that anymore. Customers want a fly.
The Tvlle lock made by track does not have a fly, but you can replace the tumbler with a Chambers English lock tumbler if you need a fly.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 01:48:02 AM »
That Tville lock is probably made like a military lock and few,if any of those used a fly but had a hefty and very substantial mechanisms and a single trigger.
Bob Roller