Author Topic: Deer Hide Bag  (Read 787 times)

Offline jgraham1

Deer Hide Bag
« on: November 22, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »
All,

I have a piece of tanned deer hide that is large enough to make a small hunting bag. However, it is very thin, which will probably lose the shape of the bag rather quickly by stretching I have read that you can line the hide with pillow ticking, I have the ticking also. The question I have is, what is the best way to attach the pillow ticking to the deer hide when making the bag? Glue it, if so, glue all the ticking or just the edges? Will spray-on fabric glue work? Stich the edges? Or both, glue and stich? Or is there a better way? Thanks.

Jerry

Offline Marcruger

Re: Deer Hide Bag
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 12:43:47 AM »
Some use 3M spray adhesive.  Others use white glue.  Contact cement holds like Superman.  If the cloth is thin however, the glue soaks through.  I find that unsightly.  Others don't care.  I am known to be fussy, so take it for what it is worth.  I also do not like lining stained by dye.  I dye the leather before adding the lining. 

I have been using 100% cotton heavy awning canvas for lining.  It will resist wearing through, and gives more body.  I wash it, heat dry it, and iron it flat before use.  You don't want it shrinking later. 

Note that if the cloth is not adhered somehow, you can get a hole in the cloth and lose items between the lining and leather.  Not a fun situation. 

All of my lining is stitched into the seams, easy to do with an inside-out bag.  Are you thinking flat-sewn?  Think through how you will treat edges like the top of the front panel.  I use a rolled edge to hide the raw cloth edge. 

Just some ideas.  Good luck with your project.  I am sure that some very skilled leatherworkers will weigh in here with some super ideas. 

Yes, that buckskin is like a rubber band.   :-) 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline jgraham1

Re: Deer Hide Bag
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »
Marcruger,

Thanks.  I think I will go for the spray adhesive and roll the pillow ticking back to keep exposed edges from fraying.  Then stitch it along the edge to ensure it does not pull away.  The inside pocket on the back wall of the bag and the outside front pocket should also help hold the ticking as they will be sewn on the bag.  The D rings tabs on the back of the bag for the strap will also help.

Jerry