Author Topic: Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club  (Read 1207 times)

Offline nemovir

Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club
« on: November 15, 2021, 08:11:02 PM »
Been shooting at Ben Avery Shooting range and it’s getting annoying scheduling for a hour long “session”, when we used to be able to shoot all day long.  I still have a 10 day pass I haven’t been able to use for over a year due to the COVID issue.

I’m a loner, but thought of going to a AZ Cactus Cappers match to shoot longer, but learned they no longer exist.

It was recommended to try the Rio Salado Sportsman’s club, they have a black powder branch.
Anyone have any experience with them?

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 05:21:30 AM »
I was a member of the Muzzlestuffers for several years before recently moving to Santa Fe. A better group of folks can't be found & the facility is great as well. I highly recommend them.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 05:53:33 AM »
nemovir, are you restricted to using the public range or can you use another range? Also, the first part of Feb. the AZWINS shoot will be held at Ben Avery and you will be able to shoot for 8 or 9 hrs. a day for 5 or 6 days. A couple hundred matches for around $70 or 80 bucks. Thats pretty cheap shooting!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 06:28:07 PM »
There is a match at Rio Salado this Thursday.
Shooting starts at 10:00 am.
Usually a rifle match (paper or silhouettes) followed by a pistol match.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline nemovir

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 07:04:05 PM »
I wouldn’t to make during the week, but I see on their calendar for Nov 28,    8:00am - 1:00pm      Black Powder Muzzle Loader (Setup 9a) | SB | 10a-2p.  They having a shoot.

My question was actually about the atmosphere there.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »
You won’t find a better bunch to shoot with. If you’re new to the club, you will feel welcomed.
Introduce yourself to John or Mark, they will tell you what you need to know, and get you set up, then look out, these are a bunch of really good shooters.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 04:31:20 PM »
I was a member of Muzzlestuffers while I lived in the Phoenix area. Sad to hear that Cactus Cappers gave up the ghost.
Like Smallpatch said you wont find a finer bunch. Sharpen your shooting eye before you go.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Hefner

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 07:53:39 PM »
I agree with Smallpatch and the others!  I was welcomed and felt right at home in no time. 

That was back in around 1980. Rick and Barbara Burton were running the matches back then.  Steve Cooley and I switched off for a year to run the matches.  I took all the steel animals home to try and straighten them out after all the pounding we gave them and rewelded some of the bases that had cracked.  I think Jim Middleton also ran the matches.  We typically had between 12-18 shooters each month.

I have been retired now since 2011 and currently live in Norman, OK. 

Steve Hefner