Author Topic: gouge slip  (Read 2111 times)

Offline bob hertrich

gouge slip
« on: November 02, 2020, 08:31:42 PM »
Does any one use a gouge slip to sharpen their gouges.

Offline Elnathan

Re: gouge slip
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 10:05:49 PM »
Talking about a slip stone to sharpen the inside? I think most people use gouges much at least have one around- you don't need to use them a lot, since the inside of an out-cannel gouge doesn't need much metal removed often, just as the back of a chisel shouldn't need to stoned much once it is flattened, but when you do they are really useful.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 10:42:00 PM »
I use slip stones on the inside curves of gouges and sweeps, but sometimes I just remove the burr with a piece of 600 grit wet/dry paper around a dowel.  I strop them hard on leather and French Rouge.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 10:51:52 PM »
I've made hardwood slips of various radii for the inside of gouges. Charge them with diamond compound, buffing compound or rouge.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »
I've accumulated several, hard and 'soft'.  Following Wallace Gusler's advice, I've modified some to suit different radii and use 'em like files.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 10:48:33 PM »
I purchased a gouge slip that  does inside and outside gouge radius but I very seldom use it. I use a piece of soft pine take a gouge and scoop out a section of the pine and either lay a piece of very fine wet/dry paper in the gouged out area and strop away. To polish the gouge I take another pine block gouge out another section and then charge it with a polishing compound and strop away - work much better than that slip stone. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 03:49:08 AM »
Glad I found this trick. It's worth refreshing the thread for those who missed it and have a gouge or two on hand that won't split hairs.  I was s dowel/paper guy before, but I think I've found a new way for me. Sharp is right, no matter how we get there.

I purchased a gouge slip that  does inside and outside gouge radius but I very seldom use it. I use a piece of soft pine take a gouge and scoop out a section of the pine and either lay a piece of very fine wet/dry paper in the gouged out area and strop away. To polish the gouge I take another pine block gouge out another section and then charge it with a polishing compound and strop away - work much better than that slip stone. ;)
Hold to the Wind