Author Topic: Lead shot....#5...?....questions  (Read 1994 times)

Offline raccoonrough

• Starting Member
Lead shot....#5...?....questions
« on: October 26, 2021, 03:08:06 AM »
Hello,

I have a 20 gauge flintlock Fowler. I plan to use it for hunting small game, like squirrel, grouse, and maybe rabbit.

What is a good source for lead # 5 shot? 

Also, do you guys have any suggestions as to shot size? I assume # 5 will cover all those adequately? 

I also have a Lee mold for number four shot, and figure I might try that for Turkey or larger small game?

I just know I need to use pure lead shot and I'm a little unsure where to look for it or what to buy, any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Brokennock

Re: Lead shot....#5...?....questions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 04:54:20 AM »
I prefer #5 for squirrels, pheasant, and turkey. I just use a little more powder and shot for turkeys.
I find it a good compromise between the pattern density of #6 and the energy of #4. Will #6 do the job? Yes. But, it takes more of them on target and means picking more and smaller shot out of the meat.

As for sources, I've been able to buy bags of it at a local old school gun shop. This same shop sells partial boxes of ammo that get brought in, good source for shot to experiment with.

ghostdncr

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 09:47:59 AM »
Powder Valley currently has #5 in stock: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product-category/reloading-supplies/shotshell-reloading/shot/

There was another outfit I found selling shot in five pound canisters that I was going to try the next time I ordered, but can't find their website now. They may have folded since I was last looking...

Oddly enough, my local Cabela's always seems to have shot in stock.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 10:44:07 AM »
https://www.rotometals.com/lead-shot/

I only see 25 pound bags of lead shot here, or bulk deals of multiple 25 pound bags.
But, they do sell smaller bags of non-toxic shot.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »
Ballistics Products or Precision Reloading both carry shot.

Offline raccoonrough

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 04:00:50 PM »
Powder Valley currently has #5 in stock: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product-category/reloading-supplies/shotshell-reloading/shot/

Thank you,  I will go ahead and get a #25 bag of number 5 shot then.  Obviously the "Magnum" shot is safe for all my smoothbore muzzleloaders or you would not have suggested it.  I had read somewhere that the magnum shot was harder or something?  But, I am not sure, thats why I am seeking knowledge.

Thanks

Offline raccoonrough

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »
I prefer #5 for squirrels, pheasant, and turkey. I just use a little more powder and shot for turkeys.
I find it a good compromise between the pattern density of #6 and the energy of #4. Will #6 do the job? Yes. But, it takes more of them on target and means picking more and smaller shot out of the meat.

As for sources, I've been able to buy bags of it at a local old school gun shop. This same shop sells partial boxes of ammo that get brought in, good source for shot to experiment with.

Thanks.  I would love to ask you some questions about loads and such.  Do you also use a 20 gauge? 

I also have recently purchased a Lee bullet mold for #4 buck and 00 buck. 
Thanks for the information and advice.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 02:51:25 AM »

Thanks.  I would love to ask you some questions about loads and such.  Do you also use a 20 gauge? 

I also have recently purchased a Lee bullet mold for #4 buck and 00 buck. 
Thanks for the information and advice.
Yes, two different 20 gauge smoothbores. An "Early Virginia" Smoothrifle and a Centermark Fusil des Chase.
I believe you gave a similar topic on another forum and I just replied there as well.
You can also p.m. me through either forum if you'd like.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 04:44:23 PM »
 I wouldn’t waste my soft lead on molding shot. Most shot is alloyed, and chilled, which hardens it. Wheel weights make good shot as long as they are the old lead alloy weights. Save your soft lead for round balls.

Hungry Horse

Offline BJH

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 05:30:31 PM »
Number 5 shot is a good compromise. I’ve killed Rabbits and pheasants. With it. In deference to the age and condition of my old double percussion 20 guage I used a square load of 60 grains of FFg and a equal volume of shot. The pheasants fell to a 16 guage trade gun I no longer own. BJH
BJH

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 07:51:26 PM »
60gr. stricken measure holds approximately 7/8oz shot.
So the load would be 2.1 drams 2F and 7/8oz shot.  2 1/4 drams would be 61.4gr.
What wad(s) did you use, BJH????
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline BJH

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 09:29:37 PM »
Home punched cardboard wads, I work in a food service warehouse so I have coice of material. About three corrugated pieces and a piece of shirt cardboard for a OP wad. Another shirt cardboard wad on top of the shot. Shirt cardboard.025 thick. Corrugated about .125 plus. .630 dia. Not much info, it was the first thing I tried seemed to pattern ok on a paper squirrel target. BJH
BJH

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 02:48:29 AM »
Light weight wads appear to work well in cylinder bores.
Daryl

Offline Metequa

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 11:48:58 PM »
For turkey hunting I top off the shot with wasp nest for the tightest patterns, shot will blow right through it with little to no effect on the pattern.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 01:48:13 AM »
Ballistic products or Roto metals. Ive dealt with both an both are top notch. I shoot alot an get mine 50 lbs at a time. If you dont want that much they do off in smaller bags but its of course higher
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 07:58:59 AM »
#4 lead for turkeys...
# 5 for the rest.

#6 hevi-shot for non tocic

just by a box of cheap game load and rob the shot.

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 02:03:09 PM »
#4 lead for turkeys...
# 5 for the rest.

#6 hevi-shot for non tocic

just by a box of cheap game load and rob the shot.
No such thing as CHEAP ,more like non exsistant by me and way more costly !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 09:43:56 PM »
#5 is a good general shot size, bunnies, squirrels, grouse, pheasant, ducks(when lead was legal) & even geese over decoys.
Daryl