General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

looser patch ball combo works

(1/9) > >>

AZshot:
...at least it made loading easier.  After shooting black powder off and on for 40 years, with very tight target loads I decided to try loose.  A .440 ball in my .45 Colerain was too tight.  Several panic moments when the ramrod would stop going down a foot from the bottom.  So I bought some .437 and did a woods walk last weekend.  How nice to just gently bump the ball into the bore with the starter, then run it down with the ram smoothly.  I just shot at trees and deadfall, so don't know about accuracy, but it was nice not worrying about just having the ramrod, no steel range rod. If you haven't tried looser combos, try it.

MuskratMike:
Before I would go to that small of a bore I would adjust my patch thickness and or lube. All my rifles except my .40 Kibker SMR use balls.010 undersized. That one is .005 undersized. I use either TOTW mink oil/grease or a 50/50 combo mink and pure neatsfoot oil. Went shooting with some guys today shooting .29 and .32 caliber squirrel Guns at paper and metal swingers. Cool and rainy day. Shot all morning and never swabbed my bore and the last ball loaded the same as the first.
Let us know how that small ball shoots for accuracy.

Daryl:
I am curious, too, Mike. I've shot lots of loads that allow easy loading and do not require wiping at any time, but have found a tighter ball and patch has shot more accurately.
Of course, accuracy is subjective. It depends on what what good accuracy actually is, to everyone. Opinions are just that and most opinions are different with most people.

Panzerschwein:
A very snug load with spit patch has worked excellent for me. Nice and moist patch wipes the bore clean with each shot.

elkhart:
The difference between hunting loads and target loads. My range is limited by my middle age eyesight, so looser ball/patch combos are fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version