Author Topic: looser patch ball combo works  (Read 3680 times)

Offline RichG

Re: looser patch ball combo works
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2021, 10:10:35 PM »
I use a .437 ball with a .015 ticking patch with mink oil in my colerain 45 for hunting. Anything less than 70 gr 3ff O.E. isn't accurate. 80 gr blows patches. I think there's a fine line between enough pressure to obturate the patch/ball combo and blowing patches. loads with ease and shoots great. My trail walk plinking load is a .445 ball .020 patch wet lube and 60 gr 3f O.E. No cleaning shoots great. I have never found a loose patch/ball combo that shot very well with a light target load.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 12:58:49 AM »
"looser patch ball combo works"....not for me.  I respectfully disagree 100%.,
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alacran

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2021, 03:42:35 PM »
Don't we go through this thread every 90 days or so? it sure seems like it.
It all boils down to the amount of powder you use, the size of the ball, the thickness of the patch and the lube you use.
Only change one variable at a time. This is not something you can accomplish with one or two trips to the range. It sometimes takes weeks or longer to work out the "complete load" that works in your rifle. Not my rifle or your buddies rifle that is just like yours, they are all different but similar.
Take your time, work through all the variables until you find the one load combination that is right for your gun.
So ended the sermon.
"Muskrat" Mike
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Ditto!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 08:16:51 PM »
I've not had any luck with the super tight combos you gentlemen seem to enjoy either.
Psalms 144

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 08:32:44 PM »
Don't we go through this thread every 90 days or so? it sure seems like it.
It all boils down to the amount of powder you use, the size of the ball, the thickness of the patch and the lube you use.
Only change one variable at a time. This is not something you can accomplish with one or two trips to the range. It sometimes takes weeks or longer to work out the "complete load" that works in your rifle. Not my rifle or your buddies rifle that is just like yours, they are all different but similar.
Take your time, work through all the variables until you find the one load combination that is right for your gun.
So ended the sermon.
"Muskrat" Mike
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
   There are a lot of topics repeated here but with almost 4500 members and counting, some of these need to be rehashed and some times new perspectives are good for the discussion.  ;) :)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2021, 12:49:51 AM »
RichG,
"I use a .437 ball with a .015 ticking patch with mink oil in my colerain 45 for hunting. Anything less than 70 gr 3ff O.E. isn't accurate. 80 gr blows patches. I think there's a fine line between enough pressure to obturate the patch/ball combo and blowing patches."

Try The Minute-Men untreated cotton canvas patching.  I don't buy their Teflon, just the plain canvas.  They offer it in various thicknesses, including your .015.  It is some DENSELY woven stuff.  I'd be amazed if you could blow one.  I used to think it wasn't inexpensive, then I looked at JoAnn fabric prices these days.  Call the guy and leave a message, as he doesn't use his website or email that I can tell.  Very nice guy though, with a superior product.  I hope this helps.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline RichG

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 03:12:53 AM »
I might have to check into it. good patch material can be hard to find.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2021, 05:01:42 AM »
The last 3 meters 10 ounce denim I bought was on sale 50% off. It was priced at $33.00 per meter.
At 50% off, I got 1990's price.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 07:12:13 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2021, 04:10:23 PM »
Loose fit is fine with me. I am not looking for clover leaf groups at 50 yards. I am fine with 1-2 inch groups.

My optimum shooting days were from the late 1950's until the 1969,the year I got married and then after
1972 when the 2nd son was born I didn't have time and a work schedule interfered and other interests like
planes got involved along with paying close attention to 2 growing boys.
When I shot a lot,any round ball gun with that would not make a clover leaf at 100 yards was a failure no
matter whose barrel it had.All the barrels by Bill Large would if I did my part.I had exceptional eyesight then
and the 100 yard target was easy to see.I used a tight patch and ball combination such as a .575 ball and a
patch that was a cleaning patch for the M1 rifle that I bought by the thousands from Wes Kindig and used a
lube called "Blacksolve" which was a concentrate mixed with water.Tapped the ball with a starter and light wood mallet and it went down easily.One day at a match when using a 50 caliber rifle I ran out of .500 round balls
and one of the shooters gave me some .490's.I was skeptical but shot them with no change in accuracy.
Bill was surprised when I told him about this.
In 2008 I finished a 58 caliber flintlock rifle,a project started by someone else with a GM barrel and used the
.575 tightball combination from years earlier and got good results at 100 yards with my then 72year old eyes and poor sights on the barrel.Just for hoots and giggles I tried some .562 balls from a mould I had and was surprised at how well it shot and a small child could have loaded it.My powder charge was about 80 grains of DuPont 3fg.I remember Tom Dawson telling me he shot old guns using the balls from the moulds that were with them and they were "2 calibers undersisze" with good accuracy and loaded easily.
There it is,one geezers expaerinces with round ball guns over a long time.
Bob Roller
If I ever make another round ball gun it will be a 40 caliber caplock,English style with a barrel 7/8x 34 and the best possible sights.No rod or rib and a fast lock.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 04:14:19 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2021, 07:59:28 PM »
Accuracy vs. seating effort is relative as to the size of the target to me.  If I can keep my shots all in the black (hopefully centered) of a standard N.M.L.R.A target at each distance shot offhand I am happy considering the 66 year old eyes. I do not like a load that requires a steel range rod although I use one at the range.  My loads must be able to use the wooden rod without fear of breaking it.  If not they are too tight.  But that is a product of the patch lube.  Once the ball/patch combination is started no matter the size it should push down close to the same if the lube is slick enough. That is if the grooves are properly filled.

Bob

Offline AZshot

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2021, 08:14:33 PM »
OK, I just shot my "looser" combo at the range.  I'm happy with the accuracy, after a cold barrel shot, the next two went into almost the same hole at 25 yards.  Upper left target.

So I moved back to 50 yds, and shot the target on the right, about 1" group.  I'm fine with that, as I said, I'm looking for decent accuracy that is easy to load, not 200 yd Schuetzen accuracy.  The proof is in the pudding - it shoots as good as I wanted it to.  And better than my super tight load.

Load:
.437 ball, sprue up
.013 patch, neatsfoot lube
55 gr Schuetzen FFF powder
FFFF priming
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:22:25 PM by AZshot »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 10:58:23 PM »
3 days left to enter the postal match, AZ.
Daryl

Offline AZshot

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 11:29:21 PM »
Thanks, I'll do one one day.  But before Christmas may have too much work.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2021, 10:31:50 PM »
Wayne:  Those plates work fine after I rinse the food off.  I was using the wife's good Noritake china but only got one shot per plate.
We have had our wedding set of Noritake dinnerware for almost 53 years and only the gravy bowl is missing.
Long ago discontinued and should be never used for targets under 500 yards away :D :D :D.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:35:12 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2021, 11:50:03 PM »
The gravy bowl is the most important piece. ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2021, 02:48:12 AM »
The gravy bowl is the most important piece. ;D

Absolutely, with the hard boiled and cubed giblets chopped up and included in the Turkey gravy.
That be maka me drool!
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2021, 04:44:04 PM »
thick patches carry more gravy.  :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline AZshot

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2021, 05:53:59 PM »
Since the loose patch combo obviously works with my gun, I'm going to experiment with lube now.  Will turkey or beef gravy be better?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2021, 01:01:03 AM »
Either on the mashed potatoes or hot "meat" sandwich is fine. ;D
Daryl