Author Topic: Herbs Hawken  (Read 5578 times)

Online Bob Roller

Re: Herbs Hawken
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 04:53:44 PM »
I remember buying Curt's hammer and plate from a man in Michigan and another from him furnished by a Texan,William Morgan,\It was a J&S Hawken and I used a lot of these as I did Curt's.Jerry Devaudreuil bought all the moulds from the man in Michigan and even used the name of International Arms which once attracted attention from the BATFE.It was all muzzleloading stuff so the Feds forgot about it and got back to real offenders. Jerry is now 90 and in a care facility and I talked to his sister last week and it seems that she is not really familiar with what Jerry did and will need numbers like G177 for the hammer and G304 for the J&S hammer. hve some old invoices for the EXTERNAL parts of the Chet Shoults flintlock and a fine Ketland I made a lot of for the so called "Flint Hawken" full stock rifles.I never used ANY cast internal parts because none of them came near ny ideas on quality.I won't do "Good Enough".
Getting back to our original question,I don't know if Curt offered all the hardware needed for a Hawken ot not.Ditto for the Morgan parts.
I am no longer making locks for anything and probably will not revive them.Now at 85 I have no interest other than the few triggers I now make on an off and on basis.
Bob Roller

Offline Ron Wehmeyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2021, 05:09:54 PM »
Thank you for your reply Bob. I ran across the name Curt Thure Pearson  doing some research on Hawken rifles a while back and knew he had an interest in the study of Hawken rifles way back when . Don't hear his name very much and surprised to see it in your post .  Again Thanks Bob .

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2021, 05:13:40 PM »
It is so interesting to know how the Hawken Bros. went from making a full stock rifle in Maryland to creating what is essentially an English Sporting Rifle in St. Louis.
Has anyone tried to make the choked bore they were known for?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »
It is so interesting to know how the Hawken Bros. went from making a full stock rifle in Maryland to creating what is essentially an English Sporting Rifle in St. Louis.

It's too bad THEY changed the stock design so much.
The certainly did not improve it. Perhaps made it more robust, though. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2021, 11:19:12 PM »

They bear no real resemblance to an English sporting rifle other than possibly the big bore.
Bill Large,now long deceased made choked barrels on request.I made a lot of locks for them
that went beyond the quality used in St.Louis back in that day. The last one I made was in March
of 2019 and it had a copy of an English Stanton 3 pin mechanism.It went to Texas.
Bob Roller