General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Sealing round grooves

<< < (2/7) > >>

hortonstn:
Thanks for the advise
Paul

rich pierce:

--- Quote from: Scota4570 on November 26, 2021, 12:48:18 AM ---I had a round bottom 45 caliber barrel.  The grooves were 0.016 deep and about 50/50 width ratio with the lands.  It shoot poorly.  No patch and ball comb helped.  That includes loads that required a heavy steel ramrod.  I tried thick cushion was under the patched ball too.  Nothing worked.  I scrapped the barrel, that was an effective solution to the problem. 

I do not think it is an issue with the shape of the grooves.  I think the grooves are too deep and too narrow.  A loadable combination that gets enough compression in the center of the grooves is not possible.   If they were made wider and not so deep I bet they would shoot.

To go to another extreme I have used 45 cal cartridge gun blanks to make MLs.  The grooves are only 0.004" deep (only 1/4 the depth of the round bottom barrels).  They have all shot very accurately. 

Others have other, equally valid opinions and experiences. 

--- End quote ---
I can take that barrel and cut 0.005” off the lands with a freshing rod and I bet it will shoot.

recurve:

Getz round bottom rifling with .020 denim 490 ball open sights 50 yrds

Bobby Hoyt round bottom rifleing 50 above 54 below same patch 50 yrds

recurve:
green mtn square bottom rifleing 50 & 100yrds w peep sight same patch and ball as my round botom above

WadePatton:

--- Quote from: rich pierce on November 26, 2021, 06:25:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: Scota4570 on November 26, 2021, 12:48:18 AM ---I had a round bottom 45 caliber barrel.  The grooves were 0.016 deep and about 50/50 width ratio with the lands.  It shoot poorly.  No patch and ball comb helped.  That includes loads that required a heavy steel ramrod.  I tried thick cushion was under the patched ball too.  Nothing worked.  I scrapped the barrel, that was an effective solution to the problem. 

I do not think it is an issue with the shape of the grooves.  I think the grooves are too deep and too narrow.  A loadable combination that gets enough compression in the center of the grooves is not possible.   If they were made wider and not so deep I bet they would shoot.

To go to another extreme I have used 45 cal cartridge gun blanks to make MLs.  The grooves are only 0.004" deep (only 1/4 the depth of the round bottom barrels).  They have all shot very accurately. 

Others have other, equally valid opinions and experiences. 

--- End quote ---
I can take that barrel and cut 0.005” off the lands with a freshing rod and I bet it will shoot.

--- End quote ---

This would be the next option I'd consider. Let Rich tune it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version