Author Topic: Coyotes, Cell Phones, & Mishaps!!  (Read 9209 times)

La Longue Carabine

Coyotes, Cell Phones, & Mishaps!!
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »
Well i got up this morning and was determined to go squirrel hunting, in spite of the windy day we were going to have. A lot of the time, for me, its just about being out there that makes it all worth while. So while i'am sitting under my tree hoping ole bushy tail will stick his head out, but didn't, i felt my cell phone vibrate. It was a text message from a real good friend of mine, who also happens to be one of our TWRA officers, (its good to have friends in high places)...  ;D ...Anyway, while we're texting back and forth, i never head a thing and then out of the corner of my right eye, i saw movement. Their were 2 coyotes strolling through the woods and they came to within 20 yards of me. They stopped and looked at me for just a second, the one in front of the other kinda trotted off, unconcerned about my presence. The second one turned completely broadside of me and just stood there as if to say, "Come on Hillbilly, Fire that Shot". :o So i raised my rifle, sighted in just behind his shoulder blade and..."CLACK"...  >:(  :-[...I was so busy with that @!*% phone, i forgot to prime my pan... >:(... Needless to say, my future coyote fur skin hat hauled ass clear to the next county i'am sure. After i finished throwing my little fit..  :D ..i decided to go ahead a take a few pictures of myself and my new outfit that i got from "Ole Bushwacker", the pants and the shirt is awsome and very, very comfortable and i didn't have to make any adjustments at all, the fit was perfect. Thank you John Baum, you'll be hearing from me when i have a need for another garment...  ;)

Anyway here's the pic's, tell me what ya think and keep the laughter down to a minimum, please..  ::) BTW, that gourd at my feet, i made that myself and another one just like it at home..  ;)

Online Hank*in*WV

Re: Coyotes, Cell Phones, & Mishaps!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:08:29 AM »
From one hillbilly to another, I don't see anything wrong with them duds. Fine looking rifle also.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:53:24 AM »
Good looking kit! I would not wear turkey feathers on my head though...  :o
You show a lot of hard work. Again, great looking kit!
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:40:04 AM »
Prime your rifle when you enter the woods ;D

I was crawling on some antelope 2 years ago and the phone vibrated, it vibrates then rings. I got to it before the noise started and  after telling a friend what was in progress I went nother 40 yards on my belly and I got a shot. But not with a FL no way to get close enough.
Had to crawl to the Antelope's side of the slope to see line of sight over the grass, sitting up was not an option.
Not with 20-30 sets of 8 power eyes around.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:36 AM »
When I'm hunting I don't have a phone turned on. Frankly, what could be more important than what you're doing!  Catch up on the world when you are done for the day. Phones don't work much of where I go anyway. I thank God that those places still exist.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
There's a phone on the end table beside the chesterfield - it takes messages - I'll return the call.

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
When I'm hunting I don't have a phone turned on. Frankly, what could be more important than what you're doing!  Catch up on the world when you are done for the day. Phones don't work much of where I go anyway. I thank God that those places still exist.

Oh i hear what your saying and i wish i could leave the dang thing behind, but unfortunately i have health issues that make it necessary for me to able to summon help quickly if needed. Not to mention the butt kicking i would recieve from the ole "Ball & Chain",  :o if she tried to get in touch with me and couldn't. Lord knows that every cop, sheriff, EMT, army, navy and marines would be called out if she couldn't... ::)

It's alright though, i still had a blast being out there by myself and enjoying a great day. Although the hat that coyote pelt would have made, would have been real nice though... :D

I'll gett'em next time... ;)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
Oh dear.  The modern world's idea that we should be available at every moment of the day.  Well, I'm not.
Most of the time I am not available. When working in the shop; meal times ; hunting ; driving , etc
Leave a message.  I know a fellow who answered a call on his cell phone, and in the process, fell out of a tree!  If you can't live without one being on all the time, just switch it to "vibrate" and then go hunting.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
how do u make a gourd?
i thought they grew?
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Mike R

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:03:41 PM »
Leave the cell phone at home--or at least turn the durn thing OFF!  I may be the last person on earth without a cellphone. Work of the Devil  ;)!  When I go into the woods I want to be ALONE with nature, not bring city life along with me!  I never have felt the need to be "connected" all the time.  Reminds me of a Arkie joke--the proverbial traveling salesman was lost and pulled up to a cabin back in the Ozark boonies to ask directions.  There was a local fellow rocking on the front porch, smoking a pipe, old longrifle leaning on the door frame, and as the traveler was about to ask for directions a telephone inside started to ring--he then noticed a single wire running across country to the cabin.  He waited a second, then asked, "aren't you going to answer that?"  The mountain fellow said, "Nope.  I put that in there for MY convenience."  That's the way I view all phones, cellular or not.  Pet peeve # 27: folks leaving their cellphones on when they shouldn't [#26 is using them while driving].

P.S., I just noted your remark about health issues--that trumps my comments, but you could at least turn it off while stalking or sitting on a hunt!  Do you leave it on in church? I was at a convention this week where the speakers were constantly interrupted by cellphones going off despite signs that said TURN THEM OFF!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:06:48 PM by Mike R »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:06:39 PM »
What's a cell phone?   
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Mike ...you and I would get along real well ;D  

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 12:30:41 AM »
  When I need it I turn it on.When I don't need it, I leave it off.

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 02:13:58 AM »
how do u make a gourd?
i thought they grew?
Well now, ain't you an award winning brain child.....The gourd grew on its on, sure enough, but it didn't grow with a hole bored out in it, or a hollow inside, nor did it grow with the wax lining inside of it, or come with a cork to seal it with  ::).....So yeah, i did make it... 8)

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 02:26:14 AM »
Oh dear.  The modern world's idea that we should be available at every moment of the day.  Well, I'm not.
Most of the time I am not available. When working in the shop; meal times ; hunting ; driving , etc
Leave a message.  I know a fellow who answered a call on his cell phone, and in the process, fell out of a tree!  If you can't live without one being on all the time, just switch it to "vibrate" and then go hunting.

Well i got up this morning and was determined to go squirrel hunting, in spite of the windy day we were going to have. A lot of the time, for me, its just about being out there that makes it all worth while. So while i'am sitting under my tree hoping ole bushy tail will stick his head out, but didn't, i felt my cell phone vibrate. It was a text message from a real good friend of mine, who also happens to be one of our TWRA officers, (its good to have friends in high places)...  ;D

As you can see in the blue highlighted area from my orginal post, i had it on "Vibrate"... ::)

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 02:42:57 AM »
Leave the cell phone at home--or at least turn the durn thing OFF!  I may be the last person on earth without a cellphone. Work of the Devil  ;)!  When I go into the woods I want to be ALONE with nature, not bring city life along with me!  I never have felt the need to be "connected" all the time.  Reminds me of a Arkie joke--the proverbial traveling salesman was lost and pulled up to a cabin back in the Ozark boonies to ask directions.  There was a local fellow rocking on the front porch, smoking a pipe, old longrifle leaning on the door frame, and as the traveler was about to ask for directions a telephone inside started to ring--he then noticed a single wire running across country to the cabin.  He waited a second, then asked, "aren't you going to answer that?"  The mountain fellow said, "Nope.  I put that in there for MY convenience."  That's the way I view all phones, cellular or not.  Pet peeve # 27: folks leaving their cellphones on when they shouldn't [#26 is using them while driving].

P.S., I just noted your remark about health issues--that trumps my comments, but you could at least turn it off while stalking or sitting on a hunt!  Do you leave it on in church? I was at a convention this week where the speakers were constantly interrupted by cellphones going off despite signs that said TURN THEM OFF!

If my health issues trump your comments, then why do you still insist that i should turn it off while, "Stalking or Sitting on a Hunt"??...... ::) I had it on vibrate, and to answer your question, NO i don't leave it on in church, but if my wife wasn't with me i would leave it on, because she takes care of all my medical issues.

I don't know you, but i would be willing to bet that if you ever found yourself alone and in a terrible fix, with your life in the balance, you'd be praying to heaven above, that you had a cell phone in order to call  for help... ;)

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 04:57:15 AM »

I don't know you, but i would be willing to bet that if you ever found yourself alone and in a terrible fix, with your life in the balance, you'd be praying to heaven above, that you had a cell phone in order to call  for help... ;)

Hmmmm, I would be praying directly for help, not a cell phone that wouldn't reach out from the remote places I usually go.  ;)

When someone mentions that  their phone is set on vibrate, I have to wonder where, in their pants, they are carrying that phone?  ;D

God bless
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:02:01 AM by J.D. »

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »
Don't have an opinion on the cell phone, but I did enjoy your story and the pictures.
Roger Fleisher

C. Cash

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 05:53:11 AM »
 Looks great LLC!  I like the period clothes and the rifle.  And anyday a guy can spend in the woods with a rifle in his hand, is a good day. ;D

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 06:08:34 AM »
Howdy Mr LLC.  Yup...I saw that you had the phone on "vibrate"  That's why I said that if you can't live without it; set it on V and go hunting !  Which is what you did ;D  Have fun.  I do hope that the vibrate mode doesn't sound like a r. snake   Could get confusing!
Oh ya...nice clothes and rifle. Too clean though. You need to hunt more.

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 04:54:16 PM »
I find the Rondy shirts and clouts become 'aged' after about 5 or 6 days ;D.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:54:37 PM by Daryl »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »
Don't have an opinion on the cell phone, but I did enjoy your story and the pictures.
Sameo, sameo!    NObody has my cell phone number in fact I don't even have it ;D ::)

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »
Being a one-man show running a 24/7/365 business, I always had my cell on even when hunting.  Yep, normally set it to vibrate but one particular day of regular buck (center fire) season, I forgot to turn the ringer off.  At that time, I had the big Nextel that actually had a ringer loud enough for me to hear ... and everyone else within a couple hundred yards that had normal hearing.  It was around 8:00a, daylight of a clear cold morning when I spotted a buck coming towards me so I cocked the flinter and waited as he kept right on coming.  He showed no signs of slowing his pace and I thought this one may just get away as there weren't many places to get a ball through to him.  As I'm sighting him trying to pick a spot, all of sudden the ringer bellows out and he jumped about three feet and stopped in a wide-open spot at an angle to me but not a good enough one to save his life.  I squeezed the trigger before the phone rang again and he went down hard.  Got the call on the third ring and kept the customer happy too.

Had an incident in church one time too - not cell phone but fire company, there were several of us in the same church and I wasn't the only one who forgot to turn the volume down on my radio/pager.  Preacher almost took a header down the steps - the acoustics of the big open plaster wall rooms are quite impressive when it's all quiet.  ;)
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Mike R

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »

P.S., I just noted your remark about health issues--that trumps my comments, but you could at least turn it off while stalking or sitting on a hunt!  Do you leave it on in church? I was at a convention this week where the speakers were constantly interrupted by cellphones going off despite signs that said TURN THEM OFF!

If my health issues trump your comments, then why do you still insist that i should turn it off while, "Stalking or Sitting on a Hunt"??...... ::) I had it on vibrate, and to answer your question, NO i don't leave it on in church, but if my wife wasn't with me i would leave it on, because she takes care of all my medical issues.

I don't know you, but i would be willing to bet that if you ever found yourself alone and in a terrible fix, with your life in the balance, you'd be praying to heaven above, that you had a cell phone in order to call  for help... ;)

Sorry to offend you--did not realize you were so sensitive about your cellphone.  I have been in many many far away wild places, often alone and never had a cellphone or any other way to contact the "world"--many of these treks were long before the cellphone of course...Alaska, Venezuela, Colombia, Bolivia, Mexico [not tourist spots], Death Valley, and many other remote areas--as a field geologist I got around--often in remote areas of these remote places! At 65 I still feel no need to be "connected", but I suppose as I age my kids might eventually insist [my wife knows better].  Of course I have had no real medical issues either, except minor injuries that made it painful to walk--had to hike many miles across the northern Andes for a week on a bad foot once.  Cut myself a walking stick. My dislike of cellphones is deep and probably not correctable. But if you need it I apologize.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:02:28 PM by Mike R »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »
Up here, if you take the highway as far north as possible, [ north of Thunderbay] to Armstrong, Ontario; and then hop on a "Beaver" and fly further for an hour...you'll get to where we moose hunt.
Middle of nowhere. The plane will pick you up on the appointed day....or not. Depends on the weather.
Years ago, the group I go with had a fellow pass away from a suspected heart attack. Nothing to be done, so they wrapped him in his sleeping bag, hung him in a tree to keep the critters off, and went hunting!
Point is, I can't for the life of me think of a better place to "make the transition" There are some places we go where having a phone won't save you. I love to spend as much tome as I can  in those places.
Some people I know really take a risk just leaving the hospital parking lot,and I really feel for them. If having a phone lets you get out there and hunt, by all means carry it.   Have fun. Life is too short.