Author Topic: Bag #45 - Cowhide  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Marcruger

Bag #45 - Cowhide
« on: November 27, 2021, 12:17:28 AM »
Here is my latest Bag #45.  It is made from 4-5 ounce cowbelly, and I really like the graining.  It has a buckskin rolled top edge and a buckskin welt.  Straps are 4-5 ounce cowhide.  The flap is double layer for weight and body.  Some "antiquing" to give it a worn-in look.  All hand stitched with Crawford's Irish waxed 4-ply linen thread.  This bag is about 8-1/2 inch square.  Top finish of a beeswax & mink oil blend with hardener.  Fairly water resistant.  Handmade button and wrought iron buckle.  I hope everyone had a super Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for all of my friends here on ALR.   God Bless,   Marc

url=https://ibb.co/SvqDzJK][/url]

Offline Brokennock

Re: Bag #45 - Cowhide
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 01:02:34 AM »
I likes it. Color, texture, and finish are very nice. The button is pretty cool, how did you make it?
Good job?

Offline Spalding

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 02:38:41 AM »
Another beauty, Marc.

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 06:57:52 AM »
Marc

Take your chain or whatever you use to beat up the leather and use it on the strap as well.   At least the pictures where you can see the strap, it looks untouched.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 07:06:55 AM »
Especially nice, Marc.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 04:28:22 PM »
 That is really nice, well done.

Tim

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 04:45:15 PM »
Nicely done. Yessir.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 06:49:00 AM »
Looking good, Marc.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 06:44:48 PM »
Super work. Just what we’ve come to expect! Well done
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 09:04:30 PM »
Holy Cow !!  (No pun intended) !  Fantastic bag, Marc.  Sending you a PM.

Dave Crisalli
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 10:47:36 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words.  They mean a lot to me. 

Brokennock, Khris Anderson is the maker of the buttons.  I located him on Facebook.  He hand stamps each button, so they are all different.  I like his buttons, and they do resemble some 18th century ones I saw in the nice "Reliving History" magazine button article recently. 

I do a bit of finishing on them to tone down the "newness".  You'll also want to polish the edges a bit, but in the end they are distinctive and authentic looking buttons. 

My best wishes to all, and God Bless,   Marc 

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 11:54:19 PM »
As you can see from my previous post on this thread that I was impressed with Marc's bag.  I did PM him about it and, in a more than generous exchange on his part, I am now the proud owner of said bag.  I told Marc that, in keeping with Taylor's habit of setting up a bag, horn, and complete kit for each rifle in his stable, I wanted to pair his bag with a rifle I built 6 years ago and a fairly plain silver mounted horn I did some time back as well.  Here is the result.....I thought I would share this with all of you as well.  Thanks again to Marc and Merry Christmas to all.......

(More about this particular rifle...       https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2015/03/rifle-by-david-crisalli.html   )
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 01:04:38 AM »
Great combo Dave.   I have lusted over Marc's work for quite sometime.   If I need a bag for every rifle, I better start placing some orders.   Stoner Creek would up a creek if he needed a bag for every rifle.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 01:54:46 AM »
 My true mentor in this culture told me easily Sixty years ago that all old rifles had a bag and horn that went with them. If you think about it it makes sense, in most cases there was only one gun per family but if there was a rifle or more than one and different calibers, along with a smooth bore it would be awkward to have to take supplies for one out of the bag and replace it with the other as needed. One horn on a separate strap would work for both with the chargers/measures being carried on the bag. His think was that if there was only one gun in the family the horn would be attached to the bag, he had several originals to back up his thinking.
 He had been collecting rifles and such from the Shenandoah valley since the late Thirties. He was from Fulks Run, Rockingham Co. Va. In one case I remember him telling me that he went to a Western Auto, I think it was and bought a rifle to trade for the one the family was still using. He had an impressive collection of not only Va. rifles and some relics but bags, horns and anything that went with them. There were coat hangers hanging from the floor joists with locks hanging on them one for flint one for percussion, another with just plates on it, one with butt plates, another with trigger guards, triggers, another with Patch boxes. There was a nail keg in the corner with old barrels in it, he had a setup to rebore or fresh them out. Had a story for each piece, he was my source for the parts for first rifle I built about 61/62. In high school my Chemistry teacher bought gun from me for enough that I could buy new parts for another.
 He built a beautiful rifle using old parts and some he made thimbles, side plates. His trade was a finish carpenter, his work was unequaled. In his trade he came across some very nice wood, mostly Walnut so there was a lot of it in the shop also.
 Just rambling...

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 02:55:39 AM »
Thank you for the kind words David, and the great photos.  I love seeing my bags in use and paired up with rifles and horns.  The trio looks great together, though I am afraid my leather skills pale compared to your gun building and horn building.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bart

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 05:24:53 AM »
Super nice work! I like it.
Kind regards and happy holidays...
Bart

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 06:44:09 PM »
Looks great to me.
-Robert