Author Topic: Thoughts on Cherry?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Thoughts on Cherry?
« on: December 01, 2021, 06:50:04 PM »
What does everyone think of using cherry for rifle wood? I personally love it. It’s got a subtle grain structure and I really love the gorgeous auburn hues it naturally develops over sunlight exposure and time.

It personally pains me to see folks building rifles and slathering a dark or otherwise obscuring finish over the cherry. In my humble opinion, they just eliminated much of the charm of that species of lumber.

Are you a fan of cherry and do you like to let it age naturally, or finish it in some other method? God bless.
-Panzer
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:52:11 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline t.caster

Re: Thoughts on Cherry?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 07:33:26 PM »
I agree with you, it is beautiful wood and doesn't need to be darkened to much.

Tom C.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 07:43:48 PM »
It can be incredibly soft from a gunstocker's point of view.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 08:00:52 PM »
I’ve got a New England rifle with an unusual cherry stock. It has some dark stripes. No, it’s not ash.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 08:17:29 PM »
I have an instructor who does not like working with cherry, he says the grain pattern can be too unpredictable among other things. I'll give it a go once I find a blank that is both suitably dense and reasonably cheap.

Rich, that rifle it wildly cool! Did you make it yourself or is it an original? It's hard to tell with you talented builders.   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 08:32:27 PM »
I have an instructor who does not like working with cherry, he says the grain pattern can be too unpredictable among other things. I'll give it a go once I find a blank that is both suitably dense and reasonably cheap.

Rich, that rifle it wildly cool! Did you make it yourself or is it an original? It's hard to tell with you talented builders.
That’s an original, possibly Silas Allen or someone associated with him.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 10:39:18 PM »
I agree with Mr. Brooks, it can be soft and even spongy in texture.  I do like Cherry furniture.  Another thing to keep in mind is the style of rifle or fowler and whether cherry would be appropriate.  I have seen later period rifles made of cherry that I think looked good, but it does not suit my eye on earlier pieces. Where I am from (the southern Appalachian Region) I have never seen a large enough piece of cherry lumber to make
 a stock that did not have a split in it. 

Cory Joe

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 10:40:15 PM »
Stoner made a cherry for my son once, brass furniture, lock plate, blued barrel, hammer, frizzen, frizzen spring. 1-Looks beautiful! He said never again… Im suprised he hasn’t said anything!!!
Eat Beef

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 11:07:43 PM »
Stoner made a cherry for my son once, brass furniture, lock plate, blued barrel, hammer, frizzen, frizzen spring. 1-Looks beautiful! He said never again… Im suprised he hasn’t said anything!!!
“If ya can’t say something nice don’t say nothing at all”. With all of that beautiful maple and walnut out there why waste your time with anything else??????
 Oops I forgot that i have some Ash and Persimmon to work with in my future…..
Stop Marxism in America

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 11:27:02 PM »
OK, I won’t say anything. ::)

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 01:39:33 AM »
I had heard how soft it was, and yes, it is softer than maple, but the Schreit 1760 rifle I posted above was a real pleasure to work with. I picked that rifle because it didn't require relief carving. I wouldn't mind doing another rifle, fowler or pistol with cherry. I guess I'm crazy enough I don't scare easy.
Tom C.

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 01:41:31 AM »
I've had good cherry from Freddie Harrison nice and dense. Boiled oil and let it age up naturally. Beautiful. My experience.
" not all who wander are lost"

Birddog6

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 02:33:14 AM »
I have built several rifles with cherry. But I picked hard dense wood.
I had no issues with it & it was as hard or harder than most walnut
I have used. But I hand pick most of my wood. If it’s not hard & dense I
don’t buy it.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 02:34:17 AM »
I haven't found it to be soft.  Instead, it's hard and splintery, and your tools have to be really sharp or slivers will pop off when you least expect it.  Still, wood is wood and each piece is different.  I've got a nice piece of C4 cherry from Dunlap that i bought 20 years ago and will be offering it up for sale soon.  It should be well-aged by now.  I can't scratch it with my thumbnail.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 04:04:53 AM »

I recently built this one in cherry.  To me maple is much easier to work.

Online ed lundquist

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 04:44:21 AM »
Joe, that is a fine finish on that rifle, looks to me like a working tool not like a piece of furniture. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla too.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 05:55:29 AM »
Obviously some cherry is quite suitable. It was often used in New England on fowlers, rifles,and muskets that survive to this day.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 06:22:29 AM »

I'm over the hump with curly ash one there, but am in love with the color on the cherry blank-there's a coat of finish on it to show the figure. I don't think I've checked the hardness, but I trust my source and if I remember correctly it's two or three decades old now. The walnut will be next though (if not a maple). Plan to get back to that soon.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 06:27:10 AM »
Obviously some cherry is quite suitable. It was often used in New England on fowlers, rifles,and muskets that survive to this day.

Rich is quite correct, as usual. Cherry stocked rifles and fowlers seem to have been the norm in New England.

Here is a link to a New England Rifle I have, that was added to the Miller Library in 2019.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=56680.0
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 04:33:12 PM »
I agree with Mr. Brooks, it can be soft and even spongy in texture.  I do like Cherry furniture.  Another thing to keep in mind is the style of rifle or fowler and whether cherry would be appropriate.  I have seen later period rifles made of cherry that I think looked good, but it does not suit my eye on earlier pieces. Where I am from (the southern Appalachian Region) I have never seen a large enough piece of cherry lumber to make
 a stock that did not have a split in it. 

Cory Joe

I love cherry but almost all of what I have cut in our area has been brittle. You can get away with it fairly easy on a SMR but I built a Lancaster Dreppard rifle with a patchbox that had lots of little sawtooth type cuts.  When inletting the PB the chisel actually pulled several splinters out when I had made straight down cuts, then pulled the chisel straight up! Luckily the splinters came out clean and I glued them back. After staining and finishing the stock you could not tell where they were

I use a little Red Devil in water to get the level of darkness where you want it. I don't stain it very much just enough to give it a bit of age to its look.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 04:36:21 PM »
Here's a plain short rifle from several years ago. Got the stock off the back porch of Gunmaker's Hall at Friendship and think it set me back $30 or so. The barrel was an old length of 1" straight which I had hand swamped with a file. The color achieved with touch of cheap oven cleaner.

Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 05:27:48 PM »
Great rifle!  Westbury’s NE rifle is worth a good long look. Cherry has that nice warm color naturally.
As with walnut and soft maple, it pays to examine blanks in hand or have the seller weigh them. Pick the heaviest. It’s hard to get a bad piece of sugar maple but even that can happen.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 05:35:51 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline RMann

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 07:23:38 PM »
At least here in Ohio, dense, close-grained cherry is as hard to find as walnut.  There is an abundance of each, but it takes some searching to find stock quality.  It is easy to mischaracterize walnut too, if you have never handled the good stuff.

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 08:02:10 PM »
I have some hard, dense cherry that I cut, and have no fear of making a stock from it.  I put scales on a knifle blade several years ago and then sealed it with BLO, and it never changed color.  I've since taken pieces of my cherry and treated it with NaOH in water and love the deep red color that it can turn.  NaOH reacts with the tannic acid in the wood and forces the change in color, and you can control it by duration of exposure.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 08:44:34 PM »
Here's a plain short rifle from several years ago. Got the stock off the back porch of Gunmaker's Hall at Friendship and think it set me back $30 or so. The barrel was an old length of 1" straight which I had hand swamped with a file. The color achieved with touch of cheap oven cleaner.

That is the perfect colour for a cherry stock...love it!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.